Friday, April 8, 2016

April 8th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

It's that time of the week again - Book Beginnings and Friday 56 time.

By now, I'm sure you know what to expect when you stop by here, teasers from cozy mysteries. This week, I'm going in the opposite direction, I'm pulling a couple of quotes from A Girl's Guide to Landing a Greek God by Bill Fuller.

                                                          


Yes, this is a fantasy romance (in that it includes fantasy elements).  Something completely different.  I got pulled in because this is a twist for the publisher who has always done mysteries in the past.  It was slow to start, but I think I'm hooked enough to read the other two books in the series when they are published.  Review to come soon.
In the meantime, here are those promised teasers.  Here's how it begins:

As the ancient pipe organ at Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church belched out the first few notes of "The Wedding March," Angie Costianes of Astoria, Queens, the daughter of a man who'd jumped off a bridge and a woman she often wished would follow suit, fought off a last-minute attack of the dry heaves and sashayed toward her destiny.

Since I read an eARC, here's a very short teaser from the 56% point in the book:

So he jumped off the cliff.

I told you it was short.  Kind of makes up for that first sentence this week, doesn't it?

I'm hoping the rain cooperates with the LA Times Festival of Books this weekend.  Or at least on Saturday.  It can rain on Sunday since I'll be doing a mud run that day.

Hope you have a good weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's a good thing to step out of our comfort zone. Seems like it was worth it for you. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be eager to hear what you think of this one. This week I'm spotlighting The Obsession by Nora Roberts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely different! I'll be curious to hear what you think of the book as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover doesn't do anything for me but you do have me curious now:)

    My 56 from A Monster Calls

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the cover and laughed, that's always a good sign. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the beginning...especially the part about her mother...lol...sometimes it's like that between mothers and daughters even when there's lots of love. Hope you have a good weekend! Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like it could be interesting - not really my sort of thing, but my interest has definitely been piqued with these two snippets. :)
    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.