Saturday, September 3, 2016

Ornament Review: Winter Fun with Snoopy #1 - Supper Dish Sledding - 1998 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great start based on the strip
Cons: 98 painted on the supper dish
The Bottom Line:
Snoopy and Woodstock
Start enjoying wintertime
Look straight from the strip




Snoopy Begins Having Winter Fun with a Classic Peanuts Moment

I’ve been unofficially collecting the Winter Fun with Snoopy series for a couple of years now.  And by that I mean, I’ve been buying the current year knowing at some point I would need to go back and buy the older ones.  Given Hallmark’s renewed emphasis on mini ornaments this year, I decided now was the time, and I have now gone all the way back to 1998 for the first in this miniature series.

And what a first it was.  It captures a classic moment from the Peanuts strip as we have Snoopy sliding down a hill in his supper dish, his faithful companion Woodstock by his side.  The supper dish is red and has 98 painted on the front to represent the year the ornament came out.  Snoopy is wearing a green hat, and the top is flying out behind him, helping make it look like they are sliding down a hill.

As a Peanuts fan, I do love the idea behind it.  It’s a classic moment from the strip that Charles Shultz repeated multiple times.  The supper dish and the snow it is sitting on do seem a little big, and that makes the ornament feel bigger than others in the series, but I really don’t mind.  While I am still getting used to the smaller ornaments again, I like that this one looks a little bigger. 

The red supper dish has a 98 painted on it to commemorate the year this ornament came out.  I enjoy it when they work the date into the ornament in a clever way, like the address for a building.  In this case, it’s just clumsy and not needed.  That’s my only read complaint with the piece.

Despite the fact that Snoopy and Woodstock are supposed to be looking like they are going downhill, the ornament does have a flat bottom thanks to the snow that makes up the real base of the piece.  You’ll find the 1 in a Christmas tree on the bottom of the snow as well.

The loop for hanging the ornament is sticking out the top of Snoopy’s green cap.  The ornament actually tips forward some when you hang it.  I actually think it adds to the piece by making it look even more like Snoopy and Woodstock are racing down the hill.  The white snow sticking out of the bottom looks a little like it is tipping, but it actually still looks pretty good, so in this case, the tilt of the ornament is a definite win.

I just love the way the strip was tied in to the original Winter Fun with Snoopy entry.  I’m glad to have finally added it to my collection.

Collect all the ornaments and enjoy more Winter Fun with Snoopy.

Original Price: $6.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.