Sunday, March 26, 2017

Ornament Review: Albert H. Almstead - Snowtop Lodge #8 - 2012 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Some nice touches
Cons: Doesn’t fully embrace the theme like others in the series
The Bottom Line:
Has some nice touches
But theme not carried throughout
Lesser of series




I Feel Like a Scrooge for Not Loving Albert

Hallmark’s series can be good or bad, especially if you have that obsessive collector gene.  You find yourself buying ornaments even if you don’t love them to fill in your collection.  It’s why I have Albert H. Almstead.  But I’m afraid that my dislike might say more about me than him.

Albert was the 2012 release in the Snowtop Lodge series, which features snowpeople dressed up for various holiday events.  As Albert’s last name suggestions, he is out collecting donations for the poor.  One hand is holding a pail to collect the donations while the other is holding a sign that reads “Season’s Givings!”  He’s wearing a red Santa hat and has a red scarf tied around his neck.  The scene painted on him is of a village with the snow gently falling down.

I think the reason I don’t find this ornament as appealing as some of the others in the series is because it isn’t as special.  Others in the series feature touches that tie into their name and theme, and this is especially true in the picture painted on the snowman.  That village really could be any village.  It does look like it is showing a mission, but it’s a stretch to tie it into the giving theme.  Don’t get me wrong, it looks like, but it could fit many other themes.  The one touch that ties into his theme wonderful is his button, which look a bit like coins.  I love that, and I think of the painting on him tied into the theme better I’d like the ornament more overall.  Not that I know what scene I’d paint on him.

At least that’s my hope.  The other option as to why I don’t like this ornament as much is that I’m not happy being reminded to give to those in need.  Definitely something for me to think about.

Like the others in the series, Albert was designed to stand on his own.  You’ll also find the 8 in a Christmas tree series marker on the bottom.

Albert does tip forward ever so slightly when you go to hang him, something that is often the case with this series.  It’s not too bad, however.  Think of it as him leaning forward to make it easier for you to give.

Now don’t misunderstand – it’s not that I hate Albert H. Alstead.  He just doesn’t have the same appeal as most of the rest of the series.  Obviously, I have to rotate my collection, but I think that Albert will have less tree time than his brother and sister snowpeople.

Collect the rest of the village with the Snowtop Lodge ornament series.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.