Monday, May 15, 2017

Music Review: Unbreakable by Selah



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: All the tracks offer great lyrics and fun music
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Disc encourages
As Selah reminds us of
Timeless promises




Selah Continues to Uplift Our Spirits

Of the new releases I got in March, the one I was looking forward to most was Unbreakable, the newest release from Selah.  I enjoy their new takes on hymns and the other inspiring songs they sing.  Their CDs are such refreshment for my soul, and this newest release did not disappoint.

This disc starts out with the chorus of “Got Any Rivers” before the trio transitions to “Carry You.”  You can feel the beat increase when that transition takes place.  The song itself is a great reminder that God will carry us through any struggles we might face in life.

Up next comes the title track, which is about the love of God.  It’s a fun upbeat pop piece that reminds us that God’s love is “Unbreakable” and He will never give up on us.  I dare you not to have a smile on your face when you are done listening to this track.

Other highlights in the non-hymn tracks include “Set Free,” which has a delightfully fun rhythm to it.  I fell in love with “Broken Ladders,” which is a slower ballad reminding us that God wants us as we are, not after working hard to build things for him.  They also cover Point of Grace’s “Jesus Will Still Be There.”  The keyboard and strings on this one are fantastic.

The theme for the hymns seems to be resurrection.  I was delighted to get “He Lives,” a hymn I grew up singing.  They’ve paired it with “Because He Lives,” and that medley couple with the guitar backdrop really works well.  They focus on Heaven with “In the Sweet By and By” and “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot/I’ll Fly Away.”  The one hymn that doesn’t fit the theme is “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms,” not that I’m complaining since I love it.  As always the arrangements on these songs are perfect; they breathe a bit of new life into the familiar songs yet still make it possible to sing along on the very first listen.

Selah often has songs that remind us of the persecuted church.  That is the inspiration behind “People of the Cross” and “Lord, I Trust You.”

When I looked at the track life, I predicted “This Little Light of Mine (He Will Shine)” would be the track that included some Kituba, the tribal language that member Todd Smith learned as a kid growing up on the mission field in Africa.  I was right, and I wasn’t disappointed in the track.  Adding a bit of an African feel to the song makes it so much fun.

Really, it’s hard to come up with a bad track on this disc.  They are all encouraging and delightful to listen to.

So if you are a fan of Selah, don’t hesitate to pick up this disc.  And if you are looking for some encouragement in your life, Unbreakable is just the disc to give that to you.

CD Length: 50:08
Tracks:
1. Got Any Rivers/Carry You
2. Unbreakable
3. I Got Saved
4. Set Free
5. He Lives/Because He Lives
6. Jesus Will Still Be There
7. This Little Light of Mine (He Will Shine)
8. People of the Cross
9. Lord, I Trust You
10. Broken Ladders
11. In the Sweet By and By
12. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot/I’ll Fly Away
13. Leaning on the Everlasting Arms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.