Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ornament Review: Frosting Friends - Making Memories #9 - 2016 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute scene of warm memories
Cons: All cons buried under frosting
The Bottom Line:
Gingerbread house built
What to do with leftovers?
Scene will bring out smiles




Memories Made of Frosting

We didn’t make gingerbread houses every year when I was growing up, but there were a few years in there when we did.  I had a lot of fun with it, even though mine didn’t turn out that well.  (I swear, I don’t have the creative gene.)  Still, I can’t help but think about that when I look at Frosting Friends, the ninth Making Memories ornament from Hallmark.

Yes, this year our snowman adult and child are making a gingerbread house.  It looks like they’ve put a lot of work into it already since the house is almost fully decorated.  There are peppermints for windows, a door, red and green shingles, and they’ve even almost got the peak of the roof decorated with red and green hard candies.  It looks like we’ve caught them in a discussion about what to do with the last hard candy.  The child is asking if they can put it in their mouth and the adult has one hand in their mouth as if they are laughing.  In their other hand is the icing container, and a drop of white icing is leaking out of it.  These snowpeople are wearing aprons and chef’s hats, and the child is sitting next to the house while the adult is standing.  I think they are on the floor since there is a dark blue pattern to the snowflake that forms the base of the ornament that looks like linoleum to me.  This is the first year in the series we haven’t seen either the dog or the cat that this snowfamily owns.  I guess they locked them up so they wouldn’t get into the treats.

As I said, this wasn’t an annual tradition in my family, but I enjoyed it the years we did it.  Looking at this ornament brings those memories back full force, and I can’t help but smile as I look at it.  It’s that cute.

The snowflake base I mentioned earlier gives the ornament the flat surface you need to be able to set it out to display.  You’ll also find the 9 in a Christmas tree series marker on the bottom of the snowflake.

Of course, an ornament is designed to be hung, and on this ornament you’ll find the ringing sticking out of the top of the adult snowperson’s hat.  The ornament tips forward ever so slightly, but it really isn’t an issue at all by the time you get a few tree branches around it.

This series never fails to make me smile as I think about some memory of Christmas tradition from my past, and Frosting Friends is no exception.  It is a cute addition to any Christmas ornament collection.

And enjoy more memories with the Making Memories series.

Original Price: $15.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.