Thursday, September 21, 2017

Ornament Review: Christmas Carousel #1 - Santa's Sleigh - 2017 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute, actually spins
Cons: Only for those who don’t like mini ornaments
The Bottom Line:
Sleigh and reindeer are
Part of festive carousel
Start of short series




A Merry Start to this Miniature Series

Hallmark has started announcing how long some of their series will last.  Part of me can understand it.  I have so many ornaments and series, knowing something will be limited makes me more likely to consider it.  But when I love an idea, I hate to know how limited it is going to be.  That’s the case with Christmas Carousel.  The first of the three entries in the series came out this year, and I’m already mourning that it will be such a short series.

Based on the name, I’m sure it is no shock that this ornament features a carousel.  However, instead of featuring horses, it features Santa’s sleigh and three reindeer.  And yes, there is movement.  If you turn the knob on the bottom of the ornament, the reindeer and sleigh turn around and move up and down just like they would on a real carousel.  The top of the carousel is red and white stripes, and red and gold are predominate in other parts of the carousel.

This is all the more impressive since this is one of Hallmark’s miniature ornaments.  It’s on the large side for a miniature measuring at just about two inches tall.  It’s big enough to know exactly what is going on, but it’s definitely still a mini.  When you consider the size, the amount of detail is very impressive.  Yes, I would have liked to see this one as a full sized, ornament but even at this small size there are some fun touches.  You can see parts of the bridle on the reindeer, for example.

That knob I mentioned that allows you to turn the carousel also keeps it from sitting flat, so you have to hang the ornament.  When you do, you’ll find that it hangs straight.

And you’ll find the 1 in a Christmas tree series marker on the bottom of the ornament.

On another note, you really have to hold the top of the ornament when you go to turn the knob on the bottom to get things to spin.  It spins easily enough when you do that, but otherwise, you just get the entire ornament rotating.

While I always claim I’m not going to start any new series, I knew as soon as I saw Christmas Carousel that I had to make an exception for this one.  This may be a small ornament, but it is wonderful.

Check out the rest of the Christmas Carousel series.

Original Price: $9.95

1 comment:

  1. This is adorable. I dropped my carousel ornament last year, and while I did manage to repair it, it's not quite the same. And I collect carousels of all designs and sizes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.