Monday, November 27, 2017

Music Review: It's Finally Christmas by Casting Crowns



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great mostly original Christmas songs
Cons: Only six tracks (but priced accordingly)
The Bottom Line:
Six new Christmas tracks
Are mostly originals
Sure to be well played




This EP is a Christmas Gift You’ll Want to Unwrap

Since their debut, Casting Crowns has been one of my favorite groups, so when I saw they were releasing a second Christmas project, I jumped at a chance to own it.  It’s Finally Christmas turned out to be a six song EP, but that didn’t dampen my enthusiasm for it at all.

At first glance, this disc looks like it is broken down half new tracks and half original numbers, but that’s not quite right.  The only truly traditional song on here is “O Holy Night,” and it’s is a gorgeous version of the song.  “What Child is This?” starts out sounding traditional, but they’ve tweaked the chorus.  I love it for the variety.  Their women take the lead on the vocals for these two tracks.

Which means that Mark Hall is the lead vocalist for the rest.  The disc opens with “Gloria/Angels We Have Heard on High” which does incorporate a few lines from the hymn into the song, but it is mostly new material focused on what the birth of Jesus means to sinners.  The title track celebrates the joys of traditions this time of year.  “Somewhere in Your Silent Night” reminds us that Jesus is still with us and ready to reach us where we are this Christmas and any time.  Finally, “Make Room” is a plea to live for Jesus.

Stylistically, this fits perfectly within Casting Crown’s adult contemporary wheelhouse.  There’s nothing here that will surprise their fans.  Since I’m one of them, I definitely consider this a strength.

Yes, I already have Casting Crown’s first Christmas release, and I enjoy it every year.  I can already tell that It’s Finally Christmas is going to get just as much air time each Christmas.

CD Length: 25:28
Tracks:
1. Gloria/Angels We Have Heard on High
2. It’s Finally Christmas
3. What Child is This (Christ the King)
4. Somewhere in Your Silent Night
5. O Holy Night
6. Make Room

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.