Friday, July 6, 2018

Ornament Review: A Tasty Treat Repaint - Petite Penguins #1 Repaint - 2017 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute penguin
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Treat revisited
With some fun color changes
Must for collectors

This Tasty Treat Repaint is Just Grape

Hallmark loves making slightly different versions of their popular ornaments, especially if the ornament is part of a series, not that the collectors like me complain too loudly.  It’s how we got the 2017 repaint of A Tasty Treat, the first Petite Penguins ornament.

Like the original, this miniature ornament features a penguin holding a popsicle that is bigger than he is.  However, the popsicle has changed from red to purple.  Clearly, this penguin wanted a grape treat.  The scarf on his neck is a different color as well, a yellow-green and light blue strip this time around.  Of course, the penguin himself is still black and white, and the end of the popsicle is still covered in glitter to represent the ice frozen on the top.

I thought the original was cute, and I love this version just as much.  Maybe even a little bit more.  While purple isn’t a traditional Christmas color, somehow it makes this ornament stand out.  I just love that color choice.  But maybe that’s because I would have chosen purple as a kid over red because red was usually cherry, and I would prefer the purple grape flavor.

Either way, since this ornament is the exact same mold as the original just painted differently, it still stands on its own.  I know, it doesn’t look like it will since the popsicle is so big, and it’s not the most stable, but it will stand up as long as it isn’t somewhere you will bump it.  Likewise, the ornament tips slightly thanks to the oversized popsicle, but it actually looks straight at that angle.

What is most interesting is the series marker.  This is the only part of the ornament mold they changed.  Not only did they leave the series marker out, but they changed the copyright to reflect the original release year and the year of this repaint.

I want to mention again that this is a miniature ornament.  The entire thing is an inch tall.  As long as you expect that when you purchase him, you’ll be fine.

I have more ornaments than I know what to do with, but I couldn’t resist getting A Tasty Treat to add to my collection.  He’s just so cute.  If you are a fan of Hallmark’s penguin ornaments, you’ll love him, too.

You'll enjoy this ornament with the official entries in the Petite Penguins series.

Original Price: $7.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.