Monday, July 30, 2018

Ornament Review: Happy Halloween! #6 - Werewolf - 2018 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Another cute monster
Cons: Background not as good as it could be
The Bottom Line:
Werewolf under moon
Wish the background were better
But still cute and fun





Howling at the Moon

I skip most of Hallmark’s Halloween ornaments since I don’t do much decorating for that holiday.  The biggest exception is their Happy Halloween! series.  I just love the creativity.  This year’s is still fun even though it isn’t quite as good as previous entries.

Each ornament in this series features a cute version of a creepy Halloween monster, and each scene is framed inside of an appropriately carved pumpkin.  This year, we get a werewolf, and the mouth is open in a big circle.  The eyes have been reduced to little slits.  The result is a pumpkin that looks like it is opening wide to start howling.

Inside, we see the werewolf himself.  His head is back as he, too, is howling at the moon.  He’s still wearing pants, but they are torn.  Behind him, we can see a blood moon and the silhouette of mountains.

This is actually a weaker entry in the series, and that’s because of the background.  Honestly, you have to look at it just right to get what it is.  Otherwise, it just looks like there are some colors behind the werewolf.  These ornaments have always had detail in the back you miss if you aren’t paying attention, but you can also usually tell what the background is at a glance.  Or maybe I was just too dense when I first looked at it.  I do like the result, but it isn’t as impressive as the others.

The bottom of the pumpkin is flat, so you can set this ornament out to display if you want.  You’ll also find the six in a Christmas tree series marker on the bottom.  Yes, I’m still wishing Hallmark used a pumpkin outline for this series.

If you do have some place to hang your Halloween ornaments, you’ll find that this one hangs straight.

Even though this isn’t my favorite entry in the Happy Halloween! series, I do still find it cute.  Fans of the series will enjoy it, and if you decorate for the holiday, you might want to check out the rest of the series.

Original Price: $15.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.