Friday, August 3, 2018

Movie Review: The Disappearing Game - An Aurora Teagarden Mystery

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Intriguing mystery, strong characters
Cons: A light dose of cheese
The Bottom Line:
Roe’s cousin is gone
And she races to find him
Well done mystery

Roe’s Cousin Vanishes

While I’ve been enjoying all of the Hallmark Mystery movies this year, some pull me in more than others.  The Disappearing Game, the latest Aurora Teagarden mystery, was definitely one that pulled me in until the very end.

Aurora, Roe to her friends (Candice Cameron Bure), is happy to have her cousin Phillip in town.  The young man is attending the local college, and the cousins are enjoying seeing each other a couple of times a week.  On Phillip’s birthday, Roe and her mom Aida (Marilu Henner), are planning to take Phillip, his roommate, and a couple of friends out to dinner.

Only, they never arrive.  Finally, half an hour later, Phillip calls Roe to apologize and say he isn’t feeling well, so he’s going to stay in bed.  Concerned, Roe goes over to drop off some soup only to find that Phillip and his roommate are both nowhere to be found.  When Roe and her friend Sally (Lexa Doig) stumble over a dead body, the concern only grows.  What has happened to Phillip?

I think the personal nature of this story is part of what made this case so intriguing for me.  Would we find Phillip before something horrible happened to him?  How could I stop watching with that kind of premise?  As Roe and her friends in the Real Murders Club piece together the clues, I just held on for the twists and turns.  The solution was completely satisfying.

Those lamenting the loss of Martin, Roe’s boyfriend (in the movies anyway) a couple of films ago will be interested to note that we meet Roe’s new neighbor Nick Miller (Niall Matter).  Naturally, he gets involved in the case.  I really like him, so I’m hoping he sticks around for a few movies.

The rest of the regulars are all back, which is fantastic.  I always enjoy spending time with them.  The acting and writing do suffer from a bit of the Hallmark cheese factor, but it is a minor issue here.

Those who have been enjoying this movie franchise will enjoy The Disappearing Game.  It’s another intriguing mystery filled with the fun characters we already know and love.

This movie is part of the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries DVD Collection Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.