Friday, December 28, 2018

December 28th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Welcome to the final Book Beginnings and Friday 56 of 2018.

This week, I'm featuring Flashback by Shannon Messenger.

                                                      


No, your eyes aren't deceiving you.  This really is a middle grade fantasy, not my normal cozy mysteries.

Here's now chapter 1 starts:
"So is it strange coming here and not being the one on trial?" Keefe asked, checking his expertly styled blond hair in a shiny facet on one of the jeweled walls before he followed Sophie into Tribunal Hall.

Jumping ahead to page 56 doesn't get us that far since this is an 850 page book.  But here is a quote from page 56:

"Actually, throwing things sounds pretty good right now," Sophie told him, taking the star Grizel offered.

I'll be reviewing the book on Sunday, so I hope you'll come back and see what I thought.  In the meantime, have a good weekend and  a happy 2019.

3 comments:

  1. Great cover! This sounds good even though it seems to be evidence of the "Harry Potter effect" - really long middle grade books. This week I am spotlighting The Wild Dead by Carrie Vaughn - a dystopian mystery. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing snippets!! Sounds like a fast-paced and fun read! Wishing you the best for 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love middle grade books. This author is on my list to try in 2019. What a fun cover!

    My Friday 56 from That Which Grows Wild

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.