Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Ornament Review: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 2019 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun take on a classic book cover
Cons: Harry is slightly off
The Bottom Line:
Second book cover
Turned into good ornament
As if by magic

Help Harry Escape from the Chamber of Secrets

When Hallmark released an ornament of the first book in the Harry Potter series last year, I hoped this was going to be the start of a new unofficial series.  Obviously, I was thinking along the same lines as Hallmark since we are getting Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets this year.

The ornament itself is a faithful recreation of the classic book cover, just shrunk down to ornament size.  This cover shows Harry hanging on to the tail of Fawkes the Phoenix as he escapes from the chamber of secrets.  While it looks like the cover of the book, what makes it fun is that Harry and Fawkes are coming off the book cover.  It gives the ornament just a bit more of a 3D effect while still being an obvious book.  The book lover in me loves the combination.

Unfortunately, I do have to comment on the same issue I had with last year’s book cover ornament.  Harry doesn’t quite look like Harry in this ornament.  He’s close, but he’s off.  It’s definitely a disappointment, but not enough to keep me from buying the ornament.  Yes, I am comparing the ornament to the book cover, and he is still slightly off.  Although I think some of it is expecting Daniel Radcliffe Harry instead of cover Harry, which is definitely on me.

The book part of the ornament is rather thin, definitely thinner than the real book (and this is one of the shorter books in the series).  You could set the book out, but it isn’t super stable, so it could get knocked over easily.

But ornaments are made to hang on your tree, right?  Fortunately, this ornament looks great when hung.  The loop is on top of the ornament, and it hangs straight.

I do wish Harry looked a bit more like the book over, but that’s my only complaint.  I love having Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to hang on my tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.