Friday, October 2, 2020

October 2nd's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

 Here we go again - it's Friday, so it's time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week I'm featuring two first lines while also participating in the Friday 56.  How is that, you ask?  I'm featuring Chesapeake Crimes: Invitation to Murder, a short story collection from the Chesapeake Chapter of Sisters in Crime.  And the way things work out, 56% into the book is the beginning of a new story, and it has a great first line.

                                                                 

The first story in the collection is "The Dame and Thaddeus Birdwhistle" by Karen Cantell.  And here is how that story begins.

Amelia Birdwhistle rarely regretted her quiet life in Back Bay as wife and mother.
That understated first line belies what is easily a favorite story from the collection.  It is so much fun.

As I said, at 56%, we are starting another story.  This one is "The Great Bedbug Incident and the Invitation of Doom" by Eleanor Cawood Jones.  That story begins this way:

I'm not normally much of a complainer, especially when I'm traveling abroad, but really, after the one A.M. Great Bedbug Incident, the dead body in my hotel bed at four A.M. was entirely too much.

That line hooked me right away.  And yes, this was another story I really enjoyed.

This collection officially comes out on Tuesday, and I hope you'll come back to read my review that day.

Until then, have a wonderful weekend.

5 comments:

  1. They're both excellent first lines! I love story collections, I really like the variety.
    Cora | https://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious for more. I do love a short story book! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Both of those opening lines are great. I love them! Makes me want to read this collection. I hope you are enjoying it, Mark. I don't read short stories often, although I do enjoy them from time to time. I hope you have a great weekend! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both stories sound like amusing mysteries :) And a great bedbug incident and a dead body would be entirely too much for me in one trip. Just sayin. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love a short story when well done. Donna Andrews is one of my absolute favorites but the other two are new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.