Friday, October 6, 2023

October 6th's Friday Post

We've made it to Friday once again.  That must mean it is time for a Friday post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56 (on hiatus)
Book Blogger Hop

This week, my quotes are coming from Hunters of the Dead by Steve Hockensmith

This is the seventh in his Holmes on the Range series, and the first in several years.  If you aren't familiar with the series, it is pretty much what it sounds like.  No Sherlock Holmes isn't a character, but it features two brothers who are cowboys using methods they've learned from the Holmes stories to solve mysteries they stumble up on the American west of the 1890's.

Here's how this particular book begins:

It was a dark and stormy morning.  Yes, morning.  I know that's not how this sort of story is supposed to start, but what can you do?  That's how it happened.

Yes, this series has a bit of humor to it, which is another reason I enjoy it.

I'm cheating a bit on the Friday 56 this week, I'm pulling a quote from page 55 of the ARC I read.  On that page we get an exchange from the brothers, Old Red and Big Red, who is also the narrator.

"Don't worry about Eskaminzim," Old Red said.  "He's got better things to do than skulk around tryin' to scare the bejesus outta you."
"I know that.  But does he?"

It was so great to get another book in this series.  I'll be back next Thursday with my review ahead of the official release on the 17th.

Now, let's shift gears to the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Have you ever stayed up late reading a book?

It's happened, but it's rare.  I tend to fall asleep reading.  In fact, if I am having trouble falling asleep, I'll turn the light back on and start to read.  But there have been a few times I've stayed up too late reading over the years.

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Every now and then I'll fall asleep reading, but usually I can stay up far later than is prudent on any given night.

    The Holmes on the Range series is new to me, but it sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing it.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning lines do sound humorous. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds pretty interesting - might have to try this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Sherlock Holmes-esque book set in the West sounds really good. I am glad you are enjoying the series. I love that opening. This sounds fun.

    I still stay up reading later than I should --more often than I should. Even as I struggle to keep my eyes open and through those moments when I realize I must have dozed off for a second or two. My daughter and husband think it's cute, and tell me to go to bed. Let me get to a good stopping place, I tell them. My "late" isn't as late as it once was though. Work comes too early and I suffer for it in the morning.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't come across this series before but I do love the premise. This sounds good! I have stayed up way too late way too often!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.