Sunday, October 8, 2023

October 8th's Sunday/Monday Post

We've made it to the weekend again!  Time for another Sunday/Monday Post where I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

The week started out like normal - at least for the beginning of the month.  It was close, after all, so that means three busy days at work.  Close went very well.  I finished well ahead of schedule since I got some of the data I needed before we started the process, so I could record that information early.  It was nice not to be super stressed and be able to focus on other things.

Then came Thursday.  Which was a fabulous day!  My brother and his family are in the area, and I met up with them at Universal Studios here in Southern California.  I hadn't been for at least 15 years, and I was the most recent one to have been there.

We had a fabulous time.  There's a Harry Potter area, and we all loved it.  The main ride was so fantastic, we wound up going on it three times.  And we loved butterbeer.  Got it twice.  We also loved the new Super Nintendo World.  The details are magnificent.  The ride I think could be fun, but it's an interactive ride, and there is so much going on it is hard to keep track of it all or know what to do.  I think I'm the most willing to give it another shot.  Of course, we also spent the most time in line for that ride, so that might have something to do with everyone's reactions.  We walked on lots of stuff.  It was Thursday, after all.

Friday, I was back at work and trying to knock out a project I have until the end of the month to do.  I should be done after working a little late Friday night, but the report I need isn't giving me all the data I need.  I have 99% of it, but not 100%, and it is frustrating.  Hopefully the new reporting I'm running will give it to me Monday.

This Past Week on the Blog:


This Coming Week on the Blog:

Note: Some of this is flexible.  I still haven't watched the movie I want to review on Monday, so that might get switched with the ornament review on Wednesday.

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Movie Review: A Zest for Death
Tuesday - Book Review: Brush Up on Murder by Sybil Johnson
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Oliver and Dodger
Thursday - Book Review: Hunters of the Dead by Steve Hockensmith
Friday - Movie Review: Friday the 13th Part 2
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

Let's talk preorders, shall we?

The preorder I was waiting for last week finally arrived.  It's The Chalice of the Gods, the new Percy Jackson adventure from Rick Riordan.  Obviously, this is timed to tie in with the Percy Jackson series on Disney+.  I haven't read any of these books since the fifth Heroes of Olympus book came out, but I'm looking forward to spending time with the characters again.

Plus I got two more preorders this week.

The first of those is Spy School Goes North from Stuart Gibbs.  Looks like this is number 11 in the series.  All I know is, a new Spy School book is something to look forward to reading.

Then, for something completely different, I have Mixtape Theology by William "Ashley" Mofield and Rachel Cash.  This is a nonfiction devotional inspired by the Christian music of the 1990's.  Since that was my high school and college years, I still listen to that music all the time.  I'm looking forward to seeing what is in this book.

What else did I get this week?  One of the last two ARCs I was waiting for for October finally came in.  I've really been enjoying Ryan Rivers's Bucket List Mysteries, and I've been saving a place for Barbeque Can Be Deadly, the second official book in the series.  (There's also a prequel novella and a short story that I've read.)  I can hardly wait to dive into this one.

And then there were two sale books this week.  Sadly, neither of them seem to be on sale any longer.

The first is For Whom the Book Tolls by Laura Gail Black.  This is the first in her Antique Bookseller Mysteries.  I've heard lots of good things about it, so hopefully I will enjoy it.

Then, the second in S. C. Merritt's Bucket List Mysteries went on sale.  Yes, two series with the same name, but very different characters and set ups.  Anyway, this book is Boot Scootin' Bump Off.

What I'm Currently Reading:

The one downside (and it's a very small one) with taking Thursday off is that it put me behind schedule with my reading.  And I have a very tight reading schedule this month.  As a result, as I type this, I still have a third of A Nutcracker Nightmare by Christian Romeril to go.  As with the first one, it's taken me a while to get into this book, but I'm very invested now in seeing who the guilty party is.

I will finish the book this weekend, so by Monday, I will be reading Murder by the Seashore by Samara Yew.  This is the first in a series set in a California beach town and set around a bookstore.  It sounds like lots of fun, so I'm looking forward to diving it.

That's it for me.  Have a great week!

27 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Universal Studios in decades! I am not good on the interactive rides (like Star Wars), I get dizzy. So pathetic. I'm glad you had such a good time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Universal sounds fabulous. I've never been there but would like to.

    I'm thinking of trying the new Quantum Leap series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband worked for Universal for years, but I haven't been to the park in ages. Sounds like it's worth the trip😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Universal Studios sounds great. I need to get to California, again. I like the idea of rides that are also games, but it takes me forever to get good at a game. I'd need to ride the thing non-stop for an hour to get anything close to a satisfying experience of the game aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, busy, busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never (and I feel like I should be in a confessional for this) been to Universal Studios, Disneyworld, or Disneyland! I'm glad you had such a great time.

    Not only did you get to enjoy a fabulous day at a theme park, but most of the books you've been waiting for seem to have arrived, and that's wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a marvellous time at the Universal Studios park. I would like to visit Disneyland in Paris, but when I heard of the crazy waiting times for the rides by my grandsons, I've been rather put off. You've reminded me that I've badly fallen behind with the Rick Riordan books, which I've thoroughly enjoyed - I must catch up with them, again. Have a great week, Mark - and best of luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Universal Studios sounds really entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UPDATE: I had a spam comment to report to you. It was a link to some irrelevant business in Germany but it came from an address like this; “SEO Saga” — that is, frankly admitting that their objective was Search Engine Optimization done by placing spam comments on innocent blogs!

      Delete
    2. I don't get what they think they are doing with their spam comments. I wonder if SEO actually works that way. :)

      Delete
  9. It's been so long since I've been to Universal. What fun! I'm glad you had a chance to go. I'm reading Murder by the Seashore and am halfway through. I really like this one. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever been to Universal in CA only Florida? My daughter was 3 and we spent most of the time at the Barney show and exhibits. I'd love to do the Harry Potter and I think one of the parks had a Sons of Anarchy exhibit but it's probably long gone now. I hear you as my schedule is tight right now and I feel behind. I want to get a bit more ahead.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's nice you were able to finish the close before schedule and wasn't as stressed.

    Your trip to Universal Studios sounds great!

    Your book haul looks great as do your current reads. I like the sound of Murder by the Seashore. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! I went to Universal Studios, but it has been a very long time. I hope you get that last 1% done on Monday. What a great feeling it will be to have it done. I asked my library to add Nutcracker Nightmare to their collection, so I'm hoping to read it sometime before the end of the year. I'm also hoping to get my review of Zest for Death posted on Monday. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Universal Studios sounds like such a great experience! Hope you enjoy your books and get back on schedule this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have when it feels like I have fallen behind on my reading. I hope you are able to catch up soon! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fun time at Universal. I hope you enjoy all the fun books!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Family time is fun time. So glad you were able to connect and enjoy Universal together.

    Spy School Goes North sounds great. This is the second blog where I saw Murder by the Seashore. Maybe that's a hint I should try it.

    Hope you enjoy your week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_01392159527.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice looking assortment of books. I've never been to Universal Studios but it sounds great. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad you were able to spend time with your brother and his family. Universal Studios is such fun. My family and I were there in March. I can't resist the butterbeer whenever I go.

    I am looking forward to reading Murder by the Seashore and hope you enjoy it when you read it. A Nutcracker Nightmare sounds like a good one too!

    I hope you were able to get that project done! Have a great week, Mark. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am finishing reading, "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman. It is a touching and beautifully written novel that explores themes of loneliness, trauma, and the power of human connection. The story's quirky and complex protagonist, Eleanor Oliphant, is both endearing and relatable. As readers follow her journey, they will find themselves immersed in her world and rooting for her personal growth and happiness. The novel combines humor, heartache, and hope in a compelling narrative that keeps you engaged until the very end. Overall, it's a highly recommended read for those who enjoy character-driven stories with emotional depth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had fun with your family. I have never tried butterbeer. Maybe someday. I have a friend who raves about the Spy School books. Hope you enjoy the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've only been to the Universal in Orlando but was so impressed with the Harry Potter area. My son would love the Nintendo part. He's a huge Mario fan. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think Eleanor would like the Spy School series. We have seen it at the library a lot but not started it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you had a great family visit. I haven't been to Universal since the Potter rides were added.
    You have a good looking set of books coming in this week. I think I'll take a look at the Spy School series.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Universal Studios is just 2 miles down the road from me! I can't wait to go on the Harry Potter ride and drink butterbeer and eat at that chocolate restaurant at City Walk!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely book haul, enjoy!
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/10/08/sunday-post-92-10-08-2023/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.