Monday, October 7, 2024

Movie Review: A Sprinkle of Deceit - A Hannah Swensen Mystery

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun characters in a good mystery
Cons: A few things, but minor overall
The Bottom Line:
Deadly reunion
With Lonnie in the hot seat
Fun for movie fans




“When Has Anyone Ever Died of Natural Causes When You’re Involved.”

It’s looking like Hallmark is planning to end the year with a couple of entries in its two longest running still in production mystery movie series.  (At least I’m assuming this and next week are the last mystery movies we’ll get before they switch over to Christmas movies.)  While this coming Friday will see a new Curious Caterer Mystery, this past Friday, we got A Sprinkle of Deceit, a new Hannah Swensen Mystery.

Hannah’s business, The Cookie Jar, has been hired to cater a high school reunion.  Lonnie (Daylin Willis) is in charge of it, and since he’s Michelle Swensen’s boyfriend, Michelle (Tess Atkins) is making sure everything is perfect for him.  The night seems to go well, except for Darcy (Brittany Mitchell), one of Lonnie’s classmates, who clearly has too much to drink and is getting in constant fights with her boyfriend.  Lonnie winds up taking Darcy home, but when Hannah and Michelle head to Darcy’s house the next morning, they find her dead in bed.  Since Lonnie was the last one to see Darcy, he becomes a suspect, even being suspended from his job as a detective.  Can Hannah find the evidence to clear his name?

This movie is loosely based on Coconut Layer Cake Murder, one of the later books in the series.  Even so, I still can’t remember exactly what happened in the book other than Lonnie became a suspect in a high school classmate’s death.  But this series has veered wildly from the books, so even if I could remember, I’m sure things would have been different.

Speaking of which, why did The Cookie Jar move?  I’m a little confused as to why they needed a new set.  And I’m still confused as to why we now have the movie only love interest of Chad (Victor Webster) since they’d already introduced the other side of the love triangle from the books, Norman (Gabriel Hogan).  They could have just gone with him.  Instead, he doesn’t even appear in this movie.  Okay, deep breath.  I’ve got it out of my system now.

This is Victor’s second movie as Chad, and I’ve got to say, I’m warming up to him.  I’m still a little confused why the DA is so involved in solving murders and directing the sheriff, but if I’m going to question that, I should probably question why a baker keeps solving these murders.  So let’s not go there.

The mystery was well done, with several viable suspects.  I appreciated how Hannah was able to make a couple of the deductions she did.  They were perfectly set up and completely logical.  Speaking of which, the climax made sense as well.

The humor seems to be increasing as the series goes along, which I think is wonderful.  There were quite a few fun exchanges, and a sub-plot with Hannah’s mothers, Delores (Barbara Niven) was great fun as well.  I am also thrilled that Hannah’s middle sister, Andrea (Lisa Durupt) is a regular part of things again.  I like having all four of the Swensen women interacting.

And this humor doesn’t feel forced like I’ve complained about with some of the recent Hallmark movies.  Yes, Delores’s scenes can be a little over the top, but she is a supporting character, while in those other movies, we are looking at the main character being the over the top one.  Here, it’s fun and charming, in the others, it borders on annoying.

The low budget cheese factor is kept to a minimum.  The writing is decent, and the actors make the most of their scenes.  A couple of the suspects are a little weak, but overall, this is good.

Hannah’s movie fans will be happy with A Sprinkle of Deceit.  With a sprinkling of fun, you’ll be glad to watched it.

2 comments:

  1. I always liked Norman best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, sometimes we just need to suspend belief and let it be. I wonder if Norman isn't there because Gabriel Hogan had other commitments. I agree with your review. I really enjoyed this one as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.