Sunday, November 13, 2022

November 13th's Sunday/Monday Post

It's time to start another week, so that must mean it is time for another Sunday/Monday Post.  As usual, I'll be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

This was a fairly quiet week.  I only had one meeting at work.  Unfortunately, that didn't mean I got as much done as I should have.  Or would have liked.  That's unfortunate because I have a lot to do in the next week and a half.  I'm trying not to have panic attacks about it, in fact.  I'm an accountant for a company, and our fiscal year end in November 30th.  That's coming at us very, very quickly.

Can you believe Thanksgiving is only a week and a half away?  Yikes!

Of course, I'm over here trying to get ready for Christmas.  I have the furniture in my living room rearranged, and one Christmas tree up.  No lights or decorations, but it is up.  After I post this, I'll work on getting the other tree up.  Sadly, they are just on either side of my sliding glass door and not in other parts of the condo.  But I don't really have room for them anywhere else.  Sadly, I don't have enough trees for all the ornaments I own.  I seriously need to stop buying Hallmark ornaments.  Or get rid of the ones I've lost interest in.  Or both.  That just sounds like so much work.

Anyway, since I'll be out of town for Thanksgiving and come back to crazy business at work plus trying to buy Christmas presents for people, etc., and I'm out of town again for Christmas, I try to get a jump on decorating now.  Usually, I'm just aiming to put up my trees and lights before Thanksgiving.  I'm thinking this year I'm going to try to get most if not all of the ornaments up so I can really enjoy everything in December.

Saturday, I hit the lake in the morning.  It wasn't as warm as it has been, but it wasn't too bad.  Little wind and with the sun on me, I was plenty warm.  Then it was over to my friends' for their monthly game day.

This Past Week on the Blog:



This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Disney Pin Review: The Enchanted Tiki Room - Mickey Mouse the Main Attraction
Monday - Movie Review: Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves
Tuesday - Book Review: Cry Wolf by Annette Dashofy
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Stocking Stuffers #2
Thursday - Book Review: The Counterfeit Wife by Mally Becker
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

I got four books again this week.  But on a cost per book basis, I did pretty well.

You see, two of the books were eARCs I got from the publisher via Netgally.  Knits, Knots, and Knives is the third Craft Fair Knitters Mystery from Emmie Caldwell.  I usually don't read crafting books, but since I'd read some of the books she wrote as Mary Ellen Hughes, I started this series, and I've been enjoying it.  I also snagged City of Fortune, the sixth Counterfeit Lady mystery from Victoria Thompson.  I love Victoria's books, so I'm anxious to read this one.  It is set in 1920's New York City and features a former conwoman who finds herself using her skills to help people now.

Then, Saturday, I noticed that one of the books I've been eyeing was on sale for the 99 cents for the Kindle version.  Hard to pass that up, so I snagged Welcome Home to Murder by Rosalie Spielman.  

Finally comes the big purchase for the week.  And I mean that in more than one way.  My pre-order of Stellalune arrived!  This is the ninth Keeper of the Lost Cities book from Shannon Messenger.  This is the only book I paid close to full price for.  I did get a discount when I pre-ordered it.  So from a cost standpoint it was big.  And the book is 723 pages, so just from sheer size it is big.  Honestly, I won't get to it for a while because of how long it will take me to read it.  And I can't wait!  It's been a couple of years since the last book came out, and I'm very anxious to find out what happens next to the characters.  And yes, this is something very different from my typical mystery.  This is a middle grade fantasy novel.

What I'm Currently Reading:

Friday night, I started Knot My Sister's Keeper, the sixth Quilting Mystery by Mary Marks.  With as busy as my Saturday was, I didn't get much more read.  So I will still be working on this one Sunday and Monday.  I'm looking forward to getting more into the book since I enjoy this series.

Hope you have a good week.

23 comments:

  1. You could rotate your ornaments. That would be fun and make each year a bit different. :D I hope you're able to get everything done so you can enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas without worrying about work and decorating.

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. 723 pages is a big book! Hope you enjoy it when you do read it and that you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two Christmas trees sounds insanely labor intensive! I hope you enjoy them.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get all your work done! Where I work, the fiscal year ends in June, and then we go straight into July 4th chaos. Just thinking about it makes me panic. Hopefully you get a few minutes to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad had a work schedule that was much like yours is. I don't know how he did it.

    If I were you, I'd set everything aside for the new Shannon Messenger book.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Have fun decorating! Our tree only goes up a few days for Christmas
    723 pages for a MG novel? That seems excessive, I hope you enjoy it.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  7. This year has flown by! I also have way too much on my plate. Slow and steady, and it will get done. Here's my SP: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2022/11/13/the-sundaypost-running-backs-catching-up-and-giving-back/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - trees up already! We only put up one tree but it is LOADED with ornaments I've collected over the years. I think the earlier suggestion to rotate ornaments is a great one. You could have one bin of your absolute faves that come out every year and then have a few bins that you rotate - don't even open the bin if it's not the year for those to go on the trees. The first time you put them away might be a little more time consuming but after that, it would be a simple matter of bins w/ green lids (or whatever) go up this year, red lids stay in storage. My little organizational brain likes that idea.:) Hope you find a solution that works for you.

    Sometimes I really like sinking into a long book - hope you enjoy this one.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how quickly this year is going! Thanksgiving being only a week and a half away doesn't feel real. I have so much to do before then. 😂 Good luck with getting all your decorating done! 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how you feel. I used to work for the Federal Gvt and our fiscal year end was September 30, so I never went anywhere in September, we were always so busy! I hope you get through your end of year unscathed. Have a great week, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminders of thanksgiving - I keep thinking and thinking about the appetizer I'm supposed to take and wondering about all the choices. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a lot going on between now and the end of the year! I hope you're able to relax and enjoy the season. Wishing you a smooth-sailing week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe it's almost thanksgiving either. the last month or so has just flown by. I read a Victoria Thompson book a few years ago- it was a Christmas mystery, I think. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have up one Christmas tree already? There are two parts of that sentence I'd like to dissect. "One" -- how many do you usually put up? "Christmas tree up already" -- is that a goal? To get it/them up before Thanksgiving? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I picked up Knits, Knots, and Knives but I didn't realize Emmie Caldwell was Mary Ellen Hughes! I thought it sounded good but now I'm super excited. We haven't put up our tree yet but probably next weekend. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My reading time has gone down the past couple of weeks and I'm not sure it will improve throughout the holidays. Your new books look good!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, the holidays are so busy! I'm NOT ready for Thanksgiving yet...and I'm the one hosting. Yikes! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck getting your trees decorated! I didn't put up a tree at all last year and haven't really given this year a thought yet. I asked this morning if we had a turkey breast in the freezer for Thanksgiving. My brother had no idea. Looks like I'll be digging through the freezer today. One holiday at a time is what I say. I got City of Fortune a while ago and plan to start reading it today. I read the first book in the series but missed some of the in-between ones. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The time is pushing along. I hope you don't panic. You might try: Stop and take some deep breaths, walk around the block (or office) then settle down to it again.
    I started thinking about Christmas decorating since I will have family coming in. Otherwise I probably wouldn't decorate much.
    I like to check NetGalley at least once a month but sometimes I forget until someone else mentions getting interesting books.
    I hope you enjoy all of your books. Happy Reading! MarthaE

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, 723 pages, it better be good, lol!
    The one I got is shorter: https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/11/13/sunday-post-70-11-13-2022/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am woefully behind in my blog reading! Your decorating sounds both fun and exhausting, but mostly fun. I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.