Friday, October 4, 2024

October 4th's Friday Post

Looks like I've been a bit negligent about doing Friday Posts.  Let's fix that this week, shall we?  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week, I'll be featuring Send in the Clowns by Julie Mulhern.


This series is set in the 1970's.  It's a lot of fun, as you can see from the beginning.

I've tripped over a body.  I've run over a body.  I've even swum into a body.  I never imagined one would fall on me.

Then again, wandering around a place called The Gates of Hell, what did I expect?

See what I mean?  And when I read that opening, I knew I had to use it to restart my Friday Posts.

Meanwhile, on page 56, we find this:

"Jay and I had a nice time last night, and he mentioned he had four tickets to the ballet tonight. Would you join us?" She tried her best imploring look on me. I was impervious to that look. I'd seen it too often.

Unfortunately, Hunter was no as familiar with Libba's lexicon of expressions. "Of course we'll go." He fell for her please-it'll-be-fun-really-I-promise, hook, line, and sinker.

The ballet? Really?

"It sounds like fun," said Hunter.

No, it didn't.

Is going to the ballet fun?  I'll let you find out for yourself.  My review will be up on Thursday, so I hope you'll come back for it then.

Meanwhile, let's take a look at this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question is:

Are there any books that you find creepy or unpleasant, even if they aren't horror novels?

The first thing that comes to mind are the Animorphs books.  These were a fantasy series aimed at middle graders about some kids who could morph into animals.  They'd been given the power to fight off an alien invasion.  And some of their encounters with the head alien were freaky.  I had to be careful what part of the book I read before I went to sleep or I'd have nightmares.  And I was reading these as a 20-year-old when they were aimed at people half my age.

(I read about half the series, then the final book came out, I saw how she ended it, and I lost interest since I didn't like the ending.)

That's it for me this week.  Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I used to love the Animorphs back when I was in middle school... Never finished the series though. Have a great week! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That first line is enticing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.