Friday, November 29, 2013

Candy Review: Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Peppermint Bark



Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Some peppermint taste, especially after the bar is done
Cons: Still not quite pepperminty enough for me
The Bottom Line:
Bit more peppermint
But still mostly chocolate
Wish mix were better




Better Flavor, but Still Needs More Peppermint

A couple years back, I tried Ghirardelli’s dark chocolate peppermint bark and wasn’t impressed.  But I have a short memory, so I decided to give the milk chocolate variety a chance.  I like this one, but it’s still not pepperminty enough for me.

This candy is a square with a base of milk chocolate.  The top half is white chocolate with peppermint embedded in it.

Now, I like Ghirardelli chocolate, so I am not disappointed with the chocolate taste at all.  It’s smooth and creamy and delicious.

The problem is the peppermint bark part isn’t very minty.  Yes, I can tell it is there.  Yes, it is stronger than it was with the dark chocolate.  But it’s just not as good as I want it to be.  I want PEPPERMINT, and this is peppermint.  It does leave a nice after taste in my mouth, but it’s just not that strong while I’m eating it.

Being candy, it's made up pretty much of junk.  The first ingredient of sugar, follow closely by cocoa, butter, whole milk powder and unsweetened chocolate.  It only goes downhill from there.

Which is why it should come as no surprise that three of the squares (about 35 grams) represent 200 calories.  And 120 of those are from fat.  They do offer a very little bit of calcium (6% of the RDA), but that's about it in the way of nutrition.  But it's candy; empty calories are fairly standard.

There are other brands of peppermint bark out there, and I will have to try them.  I would certainly eat Ghirardelli's Milk Chocolate Peppermint Bark again, but it really needs more peppermint to be my first choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.