Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Ornament Review: Dug - Disney/Pixar Legends #7 - 2017 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Dug!  With lines from the movie!!
Cons: Noticeable seam on his front legs; slight tip
The Bottom Line:
Dug in form and voice
Say goodbye to this series
With great characters




I Just Got This Ornament, and – Squirrel! – I Love It

One of my all-time favorite movies is Up, and one of the many reasons for that is Dug.  Yes, this non-dog guy loves the talking dog from the movie.  So when I saw that Hallmark was honoring him with this year’s entry in the Disney/Pixar legends ornament, I was thrilled.  The fact that the ornament includes sound clips makes it even better.

The ornament is pretty much what you’d expect from what I’ve already told you.  You get a big golden dog.  That’s what Dug is, after all.  His tongue is hanging out, and he’s got a collar around his neck.

But what puts this ornament over the top is the sound and light.  When you press the button near the bottom of Dug’s front, you get Dug’s memorable quotes from his first scene in the movie.  And, when he is talking, the red light on the front of his collar lights up, just like it should.  There are a half a dozen lines that rotate through.  And yes, “Squirrel!” is one of them.  I think there would have been rioting among fans if they hadn’t included that one.  I’ve found that the volume of the sound clips has started to vary dramatically in Hallmark ornaments recently, and these are rather on the quiet side, but that’s okay.  They are loud enough to be heard as long as there isn’t too much background noise around you.  Naturally, this ornament requires two button batteries to work, and they slip right into the compartment on Dug’s bottom.

I was so excited to get this ornament, but my excitement has been dampened a bit by the seam that attaches his two front legs to the rest of the ornament.  I’m not too surprised since that seems to be a feature in the larger Hallmark ornaments.  It’s a bit more noticeable than I would like, but it’s a minor issue overall.

Of course, I must admit that the sound clips help overcome any reluctance I have based on the seam.  Truly, these lines are enough to make any fan of the movie and character smile.

Can’t wait until Christmas to display this ornament?  I can’t blame you.  And you’ll find that, since Dug is sitting, this ornament has a nice flat base, so setting him out is no problem at all.  When Christmas comes around, you can hang him on your tree.  You’ll find that he tips forward slightly, but it’s a minor issue overall.

This is the seventh in the Disney/Pixar Legends series, so you’ll find the 7 in a Christmas tree series marker on Dug’s bottom.  There is symmetry since Carl and Russell started this series, and Dug is now ending it.  I have mixed feelings about this series ending.  I was on board with Hallmark using it to highlight movies they’d missed, but it seemed like they had started doing more ornaments based on the recent movies.  While I wish the series would continue on, I don’t see Hallmark dropping ornaments based on Pixar ornaments period, and I’m sure we’ll still get characters based on the current films.  It’s these older film characters we probably won’t see as much anymore, except for the mega stars like the Toy Story and Cars gangs.

That’s why I’m so glad we got Dug before the Disney/Pixar Legends series ended.  I know I’ll be enjoying him for a long time to come.

Enjoy more magic with the rest of the Disney/Pixar Legends series.

Original Price: $17.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.