When I first heard about the show R.J. Decker, I was hesitant to watch it. It is based on a book by Carl Hiassen, and I didn’t particularly like the book of his I read. Still, I didn’t have much else on, so I decided to give season one a try. I’m glad I did because I wound up enjoying it.
R.J. Decker (Scott Speedman) has just gotten out of prison after serving several years for assault on a young man who stole his camera. You see, R.J. was a photographer. Now that he’s out, R.J. is changing careers, becoming a P.I. He’s returned to Miami, where’s he connecting with his ex-wife, Catherine (Adelaide Clemens). In fact, he’s crashing in Catherine’s garage, much to the dismay of Catherine’s new wife, Mel (Bevin Bru). And Mel? She just happens to be a homicide detective that R.J. just keeps crossing paths with. Then there is, Wish (Kevin Rankin), R.J.’s former cellmate who is now the owner of a bar. Rounding out the cast is Emi (Jaina Lee Ortiz), who R.J. doesn’t know if he can trust since she had a hand in sending him to prison.
Since this was a spring replacement show, we got nine episodes in season one. Along the way, R.J. helps a friend of Wish’s who has been accused of murder, discovers why a little league coach’s family is being targeted, and helps a woman find out what happened to her boyfriend. He also starts to learn what really happened the fateful day that got him sent to prison in the first place.
The cases on this show are a bit bizarre, but in a completely entertaining way. By the time we reach the end, everything makes sense, even if you think “only in Florida” a time or two. There’s definitely some laughs as we head toward a logical climax.
We also get to know the main cast better. I’m still not completely sold on them and their relationships. Some of their friction seems forced to me. Hopefully, that will smooth out in season two. With only nine episodes, there is plenty of room for them and their relationships to grow, which makes me glad we are going to get a second season this fall.
The cliffhanger is another reason I’m glad the show is coming back. I’m very anxious to find out what is going to happen next.
The cast is getting to know their characters still. They are doing a good job bringing them to life each week, and I’m sure they will grow into their roles as the writers get a better handle on things.
While the show does have some ongoing storylines, it doesn’t rely on them. It features more case of the week with a few updates to the ongoing stories in most of the episodes. This is my favorite kind of story telling for most shows.
R.J. Decker takes itself just seriously enough to make us care while still having plenty of fun along the way. I’m hoping season two builds on the success of season one.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.