Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Short Story Review: “Robber Crabs” by Joan Druett (A Wiki Coffin Short Story)

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: A few interesting tidbits about sailing
Cons: No real story
The Bottom Line:
A quick short story
But very little happens
Easy to skip this




Missing a Mystery.  And a Story

I stumbled on the Wiki Coffin Mysteries years ago in my local library and enjoyed them.  I discovered a few years back that the author had released a short story, “Robber Crabs” with the character, so I thought I’d give it a try.  It wasn’t worth my time.

The story (and I use that term loosely) takes place before the series and finds Wiki in the South Pacific of the 1830’s looking to make his way to America.  As a 19-year-old, he’s now at the bottom of the pyramid on his new ship, something that makes him willing to jump ship after a stop at Christmas Island.  What might happen before he does?

You’ll notice a problem with my teaser – where’s the story?  Yes, a couple of things do happen, but they happen and are resolved without pages.  We spend more time talking about what the giant robber crabs do and the story behind the Mutiny on the Bounty than anything else.  I figured out what Wiki did early on, but there are still some questions that remain.

And there really isn’t time in this story for us to get to know any of the characters either.

This story makes up half of the length of the digital book.  The other half is an extended preview for the fifth book in the series.

Those who enjoy sailing history might be glad they picked this up.  I enjoyed those aspects of the story.

But, honestly, most people can just skip this.  Robber Crabs” is a fast read, but it’s not a good feel for the series and won’t entertain anyone looking for a mystery.

Do consider the books in the Wiki Coffin series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.