Friday, February 8, 2013

Book Review: Artifacts by Mary Anna Evans (Faye Longchamp #1)


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: The story gels for an entertaining second half.
Cons: Too many plot threads make it hard to appreciate at the start.
The Bottom Line
I struggled at start
But patience was rewarded
With great second half




Once I Got into the Book, I Enjoyed It

Faye Longchamp hates what her meager means have led her to. An assistant at an archeological dig by day, she behaves like a pothunter at night, digging for any artifact she can find and sell. Always on her mind is the need to pay the property taxes on her ancestral home. One valuable item is all that separates her from keeping her property safe for another year.

One evening's dig turns up a skull. Intrigued by this unexpected find, Faye takes an earring and begins to look into local stories of missing girls.

The next morning, Faye arrives at the dig site to find two students missing. When things begin not to add up, Faye gets concerned. When their bodies are found, the dig shuts down. How can Faye earn much needed money now?

Meanwhile, Faye is on a quest to gain back the rest of her ancestral lands. And there's another pothunter loose in her neck of the woods. Will he ruin a good site? Will his digging get her arrested for her illegal work as well?

This book is very literary in style and not like the mysteries I'm used to reading. As such, I started to get very frustrated with it. The story had too many threads and the cast of characters was a little hard to keep straight. Furthermore, Faye's questionable morals also rankled me. But as the story progressed, I began to sort things out and got hooked. The plot may have bitten off one or two sub-plots more then it really needed, but they all come together well. Faye grew into a character I couldn't help but love. And I just couldn't put the book down when I reached the climax.

I'm glad I stuck it out and finish Artifacts. It was well worth the time and energy invested in it. I will most certainly be getting the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.