Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Book Review: The Jerusalem Scrolls by Bodie and Brock Thoene (Zion Legacy Book #4)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Engrossing tale of the love of forgiveness of God
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
First century trip
Powerfully shows God's true love
Yes, one of their best




Powerful Novel from Amazing Writers

The Jerusalem Scrolls is the fourth book of in the Zion Legacy series, but it takes the series in a new direction. While the first half of the series had dealt with Israel's fight for independence in 1948, this book flashes back to the first century and introduces some of the characters they've been writing about ever since.

This book focuses the story on two people during the first century. Miryam is a lonely Jewish widow and Marcus is her Roman centurion lover. Because of her relationship with Marcus, Miryam has been outcast from her family and community. Slowly, she is sinking into depression. Marcus, meanwhile, must struggle with keeping the peace in this foreign land while avoiding his nemesis Vara, a Roman with a lust for power at Marcus's expense. From Capernaum and Nazareth to Caesarea Maritima and Jerusalem, the Thoenes weave a story full of political intrigue and personal struggle. In the midst of this, our characters come in contact with the preacher Yeshua of Nazareth. Will Miryam and Marcus let Him help them, or are they truly beyond hope?

When I first learned this book would take a break from the 1948 storyline, I was disappointed, but I decided to give the book a far reading. I'm glad I did. The Thoenes have proven once again what wonderful storytellers they are. This novel combines several Biblical stories with the fiction for a powerful tale of grace and mercy. I was moved to tears several times while reading. While this probably isn't good Bible interpretation, it is good storytelling, which is why I pick up a novel. The characters are human, including Yeshua. I got a picture of Him I didn't have before and I loved it. It made me think about him in a new light. My only disappointment was that the story ended so soon.

I am curious to see if they will work this story into the overall storyline somehow, or if the prologue and epilogue will be the only connection with the rest of the series.

I cannot recommend The Jerusalem Scrolls highly enough. Their storytelling will enthrall their fans, and new fans will quickly be won over. It is my favorite of their books to date. Buy it and read it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.