Monday, February 11, 2013

Music Review: Deep Enough to Dream by Chris Rice


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great songs with honest lyrics
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Chris Rice's awesome start
With lyrics to make you think
Worth tracking it down




Still a great CD Almost 20 Years Later

I bought Deep Enough to Dream several months after it came out, and my only regret was that I didn't buy it sooner. Chris Rice has such a wonderful way with words and images. It's hard not to fall in love with his music. And this CD is loaded with some of his best songs.

The project opens with the title song, a dream about Heaven. It's a fun little song that fills me with warm thoughts about eternity.

"Clumsy" and "Prone to Wander" deal with our human weaknesses while striving to be holy in a way I can relate to.

"Welcome to Our World" is arguably my favorite of Chris's songs from all three of his albums. The images he invokes remind me of the humanity of the Christmas story. I wasn't surprised when Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant covered this song on their most recent Christmas projects, but this original version remains my favorite. I hope when Chris records a Christmas album, he includes it again.

"Sam's Song," the only song Chris didn't write himself, is a wonderful prayer for more faith to trust God to guide us everyday.

The album closes with "I Need a Hero." This ballad is a cry to God to be the hero we need to save us from the bonds of sin.

These are my personal favorites from the disc; the other songs are great as well.

I will say that Chris' folk/pop style is unique to him. If you like him, you'll love him, but if the style isn't for you, you'll hate it. While I have to be in the right mood to listen to his CD's, I find that they are some of the best Christian music today.

I highly recommend Deep Enough to Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.