Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Music Review: Hymned by Bart Millard


Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: The lyrics are great
Cons: I don't care for the style
The Bottom Line:
If you like country
This collection of hymns will
Be one that you love




Wonderful Song Selection; Disappointing Style Selection

In the last couple of years, I've jumped on the MercyMe bandwagon, buying all three of their CD's. Naturally, when I found out the lead singer was planning to release a solo hymns CD, I was excited. The buzz around it was fantastic, and looking at the selections, I saw several of my lesser-recorded favorites among the list. When I popped Hymned in, I was disappointed.

Instead of doing an adult contemporary recording, which is what I expected, this is a country recording of these hymns. Banjo is prominent on several tracks. These songs sound like they would fit well in a small backwoods church from 100 years ago. While I find myself singing along, it's not with the enjoyment I had expected.

I can't fault him on the song selection, however. "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" and "The Old Rugged Cross" are two of my all time favorites. I hadn't heard some of these hymns before, like "Have a Little Talk with Jesus." Still, the words are amazing on all the songs. There is certainly something to be said for the old, classic hymns.

Ironically enough, the song that works best here is the semi-original song "Mawmaw's Song." While taking the chorus of "Sweet By and By" for his chorus, he sings a loving tribute to his grandmother's faith.

I don't know why established artists feel the need to "go country" when releasing a hymns project. While this could have become a favorite of mine, Hymned will hardly be listened to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.