Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Music Review: Merry Christmas with Love by Clay Aiken


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Clay's voice makes this Christmas CD stand out.
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Amazing vocals
You'll get lost in Christmas past
Enjoying for years




Clay Offers a Winning Christmas Disc

I may be the only person in the states who doesn't watch American Idol. Even so, I knew who Clay was. Having recently heard a song of his, I was very impressed with his voice. Since I have a habit of taking a chance on new artists with Christmas music, I decided I'd try out Merry Christmas With Love. Am I ever glad I did!

Clay has a smooth, strong tenor voice that is a pleasure to listen to. Backed by some great instruments, it felt like Christmas right off the bat.

Of course, part of that may be the song selection. He makes his way through the usual suspects. "O Holy Night," "Silent Night," "Sleigh Ride," "The Christmas Song," "Winter Wonderland," and "Joy to the World" all make appearances here. The arrangements and Clay's voice mange to keep them from feeling tired and familiar, however.

Also included are modern classics "Mary, Did You Know?" and "Don't Save it All for Christmas Day." I was surprised when I realized which song the title song was. I had only heard it one place before, Sandi Patty's first Christmas CD. And Clay manages to make me forget the Sandi version, a very hard feat indeed. I'm not familiar at all with "What are You Doing New Year's Eve?" but I like this version of the song.

Clay is quite at home in this CD. It has an oldies feel to it. I could easily picture it being released 40 years ago to great success. Still, it doesn't feel like something you've heard a million times before. Clay's voice makes you really listen instead of just leave it on for background music. He easily handles the range on every song here, making them his own.

If you love Christmas music, you need Merry Christmas With Love. It's already claimed a spot between Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole, high honors from me indeed.

CD Length: 39:07
Tracks:
1) O Holy Night
2) Winter Wonderland
3) Silent Night
4) Hark the Herald Angels Sing/O Come All Ye Faithful
5) Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
6) Mary, Did You Know?
7) Joy to the World
8) The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)
9) Don't Save it All for Christmas Day
10) Merry Christmas with Love
11) Sleigh Ride
12) What are You Doing New Year's Eve?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.