Saturday, February 9, 2013

Music Review: My Utmost for His Highest - The Covenant


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: This CD will encourage your spirit with the promises of God.
Cons: Hard to find; never sold well
The Bottom Line
Encouraging songs
Sung by multiple artists
Will lift you in praise




Why This Disc Never Sold Better is Beyond Me

My Utmost for His Highest - The Covenant was released 8 months after the huge success of the first My Utmost for His Highest project. Unfortunately, it failed to sell in the same numbers as the first. I will admit that at first, I didn't like it as much as the first. But it has grown on me, and now I like it more.

In my mind, one of the reasons it failed to sell in the same numbers as the first is that it doesn't have the name recognition the first did. While the first had Amy Grant, 4Him, Point of Grace, etc., this one has Anointed, Clay Crosse, Greg Long, and Lisa Bevill, among others. Michael W. Smith does make a return visit for two songs, the incredible SOMEDAY (SET THE CHILDREN FREE) and a recording with Anointed of JOYFUL, JOYFUL that's similar to Crown Him with Many Crowns from I'll Lead You Home.

Still, the reason this CD is so powerful is because of the overall theme and message of the songs. The idea was to release a collection around God's covenant with us and our response to it. When I really sat down and listened to the CD with that in mind, I was blown away. Some of the lyrics include: "I have made a promise/And so it will be...I belong to you/And you to Me." "I say it's a promise/A covenant, a destiny/I will come to set My children free." Susan Ashton contributes a beautiful version of Psalm 121 taken almost word for word from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible. By the time I reach the response to God, I find it easy to be praying "I promise all of my ways" and can claim the promise that "We will follow You, knowing You'll lead us through." The two instrumental songs, incorporating melodies from the other songs, add to the reflective mood.

The music is very similar to the first in the series. The focus here in on simple arrangements and slow songs. The main instruments are piano and guitar with strings adding to the richness. While still slow and reflective, the tempo is more upbeat here, especially on the joyful JOYFUL, JOYFUL WE ADORE THEE and SOMEDAY.

My Utmost for His Highest - The Covenant belongs in every Christian home. It is a great reminder of Who is ultimately in control of our lives and our world, and what He has promised to those who believe in Him.

CD Length: 48:52
Tracks:
1. All of Me - Be Be Winans
2. Reprise (All of Me) - Instrumental
3. The Covenant - Anointed
4. Someday (Set the Children Free) - Michael W. Smith
5. Through all the Years - Greg Long & Joanna Carlson
6. Psalm 121 - Susan Ashton
7. Make it a Promise - Clay Crosse
8. I Will Follow You - John Elefante & Lisa Bevill
9. Reprise (My Utmost of His Highest) - Instrumental
10. Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee - Michael W. Smith & Anointed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.