Saturday, February 16, 2013

Music Review: Christmas - The Season of Love by 4Him


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fresh arrangements of old songs mixed will with new classics.
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Every song is great
Captures Christmas perfectly
A must have CD




I Always Enjoy Spending Christmas with the Guys of 4Him

With Christmas: The Season of Love, 4Him has put together a collection that is at the same time traditional and new. Half the songs are traditional carols of the season, but with fresh new arrangements. The other half is made up of great new songs.

"White Christmas" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" are fresh upbeat versions of these classics. They maintain the melodies, but add harmony and rhythm as only 4 Him can. I love them! These are probably the biggest changes you'll find on the disc, especially "Gentlemen." It's my favorite version of the song. "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "Little Drummer Boy" are lesser-recorded classics, again done over in 4 Him's style. There's also a track that is a medley of carols.

The new songs add a lot to this CD. "Strange Way to Save the World" has become a Christmas classic, talking about how God's plan of salvation doesn't fit with what we as humans would expect. This is the single best track on the CD. "Season of Love" is a fun song of the season as well, and "In Your Care" tackles the humanity of Christmas, from the soon to be born Savior's point of view.

Coming out right after Basic of Life, this has an early nineties Christian feel to it. Still, the adult contemporary arrangements hold up well today.

I must admit I often pull Christmas: The Season of Love out mid-year and listen to it. It never fails to put me in the Christmas spirit. You won't regret buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.