Friday, August 16, 2013

August 16th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

I should be in bed right now, but instead I'm here to share Book Beginnings and Friday 56 with you.

This week's book is Riley Mack Stirs Up More Trouble, a middle grade book by Chris Grabenstein.  I should finish it at lunch time today, and I've really been enjoying it.  It's a mystery/caper that is lots of fun and really well done.  But I'll have my official review up on Monday as part of Marvelous Middle Grade Monday.  Come back then and check it out.

Meanwhile, the book prologue starts like this:

Savannah Munholland sat staring at the extremely strange message her fellow fifth grader Jamal Wilson had handed her right before she stepped into the room to server her first ever detention:
If anyone asks, you wrote the letter.

And, because that's the kind of guy I am, here's Chapter 1:

Riley Mack's extraordinarily awesome talents weren't the kind he could showcase on TV or at a school talent show.  If he did, he might end up in detention hall.  For life.

And, skipping ahead of page 56, we get:

"Wow," said Tony Peroni.  "That was incredible!  I mean that.  Sincerely.  That's the act to beat, boys and girls!"

So there you go, three snippets.  Come back on Monday for a bit more about the book.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting choice -I remember the excitement of passing notes at school and trying not to get caught !

    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes wonderful sense in context, and the entire book is very well done.

      Delete
  2. This definitely sounds enticing. Thanks for sharing. Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that is hard to put down, and I'm saying this as an adult reading it.

      Delete
  3. I was a terrible note passer in school. I always got caught!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one of those goody two shoes that never passed notes. Okay, so it was more I was afraid of being caught.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.