Friday, March 14, 2014

March 14th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Happy pi day.  Also known as PI day this year.  If I hadn't double booked myself, I'd be going to the Veronica Mars movie tonight.  Instead, I'll have to wait until Saturday morning, but make no mistake about it, I will be there.

But that's movies, and we're here to talk Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  The book I'm reading through this week is Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace.


This is a different book for me because it's non-fiction.  It uses the logic and tools that a cold-case investigator uses in his job to look at Christianity.  As a Christian with an interest in apologetic, I'm enjoying it.  But the lines I quote won't be quite as teasing as they are when I'm reading fiction.

The first line is:

"Jeffries and Wallace," Alan barked impatiently as the young officer scrambled to write our names on the crime-scene entry log.

Okay, maybe I should mention he does use stories from his time on the force to illustrate points he's making.  Hence the beginning of the book.

Moving ahead to page 56 (watch, I'll find another quote to use):

The scream was very short and was heard by a neighbor who was watering her lawn next door.

Okay, no quote this time, but it does give you a feel for this book.  It isn't dry and boring but an interesting way to look at the claims of the New Testament specifically and the historicity of Christianity.

10 comments:

  1. I like this different kind of way of looking at religion! I hope you enjoy it. Also, go Veronica Mars!!! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have an amazing weekend!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly different and very well done.

      Have a good weekend yourself.

      Delete
  2. It is different. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book. Hope you enjoy it and have a great time at the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely intrigued!!

    Happy PI day and happy weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is executed very well, so I've really been enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a very interesting book. A novel twist on the subject. Thanks for sharing this one with BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author definitely looks at things from an unique perspective. As a mystery reader, it's one I've been enjoying.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.