Friday, June 13, 2014

June 13th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Yes, I'm back from Yosemite.  I had a wonderful time with my family.  But the problem with being out of town is that you mess up the date.  As a result, I almost missed that it was time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

I'm going to be drawing from my current read - Kingdom Keepers VII: The Insider by Ridley Pearson.



The book kicks off with:

She has been called many things: the Black Mamba, Calypso, Tia Dalma.  And worse.  Much worse.

Jumping ahead to page 56 we find:

Tia Dalma's eyes flicker open.  She uncurls her body from its corpselike posture and turns her head to see the pythons she has summoned now streaming from the depths.  She hears what no other could, their hissing voices announcing in a unified chorus, "He comes!"

I'm hoping to finish the book in time to review it for Marvelous Middle Grade Monday this week.  Hopefully, that means the review will be posted by Sunday night, but no promises.

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow this sounds amazing! I only know the name Tia Dalma from Pirates of the Caribbean but loved that character, so I will have to check this book out. It sounds like part of a series though, would I have to start at the beginning? Thanks for sharing :) Enjoy your weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly where the name is from. It is the final book in a series about 5 kids fighting the Disney villains in the Disney parks. I do recommend starting at the beginning. It's a bit long at times, but still mostly fun.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a formidable villain and a good series. LOVE the cover.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: STELLA IN STILETTOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The villains are very formidable in the series, which keeps the pages turning for sure.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my goodness, no! No snakes, please! I'll have to check out this series for my middle schoolers who don't have snake phobias. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can imagine with some of the Disney villains, there are several snake scenes in the series.

      Delete
  4. What a beginning and wonderful 56! I would love to pick it up!

    Here is my Book Beginning post!!

    AND

    Here is my Friday 56 post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds evil and delicious!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about delicious, but it does have plenty of evil.

      Delete
  6. I love the cover. It matches the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. And I hadn't necessarily planned on the quotes both being from the villain's point of view, it just sort of happened that way by page number.

      Delete
  7. Wow, just a little spooky. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely lots of spooky going on in this series. I try to stop at a non-spooky part before going to be so it doesn't interrupt my sleep.

      Delete
  8. Yuck! They're not only pythons, but they're talking pythons. OMG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pythons in that scene weren't talking pythons. (I don't remember any talking snakes in the series either, but it's been so many years since I read the early ones I make no promises.)

      Delete
  9. I love this premise! I will definitely have to check this out but I'll definitely start at the beginning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. The premise has definitely coming back to the series.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.