Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Ornament Review: Lucky Donald - A Year of Disney Magic #8 - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Pretty green coloring as Donald once again plays against type
Cons: Very noticeable tilt
The Bottom Line:
Donald finds clover
Maybe his luck will improve
Fun ornament tips




Donald’s So Lucky, He Gets to Go Surfing!

My favorite color is green, and I sometimes wonder if that has anything to do with my birthday, which is in March.  See, March also houses St. Patrick’s Day, when we all wear green.  It’s got to be the reason, right?  Anyway, loving green also makes me love Lucky Donald since he is ready to celebrate the luck of the Irish.

This ornament is green, there is no way around it.  Instead of his normal costume, Donald is decked out in a green top hat, green vest, and green jacket.  (You’ll note, he’s still not wearing pants.)  In his right hand, he’s holding a green four leaf clover.  And he’s standing on an oval of green grass.  Yes, his bill and feet are still orange, but the combination of his normal orange and white feathers look so great with the green.

As you can imagine, I love how this ornament looks.  If you hate green, it might overwhelm you, but that’s not the case for me at all.  This is a great St. Patrick’s Day decoration.

I also like how Donald is once again playing against type.  His first appearance in this series, he was thankful.  Now, he’s lucky.  The only luck Donald usually seems to have is bad luck, so I like the idea of his reversal of fortune.

That oval of green grass gives Donald a nice base, so you can set him out with any St. Patrick Day decorations you might have, and he’ll fit right in.  You’ll also find an 8 in a Christmas tree there to mark this ornament’s place in the Year of Disney Magic series.

But oh when you go to hang it!  Donald definitely tips to his right side, and it’s pretty significant.  With the way my ornament turns slightly when I hang him on the Mickey Head ornament display Hallmark sold with this series, the first thing I thought of was that he was riding away on a green surfboard.  And I just can’t get that image out of my head when I look at him.  (You’re welcome for getting that stuck in your head now, too.)

So that tip is the only flaw in what is an otherwise fun ornament.  While he was lucky enough to find that four leaf clover, Lucky Donald wasn’t fortunate enough to hang straight.

What could be more magical than the entire Year of Disney Magic?

Original Price: $12.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.