Thursday, August 6, 2015

Ornament Review: Sly and Sweet - Keepsake Cupcakes #2 - 2015 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Colors and decorations look just like fall
Cons: The leaves look more like plastic than frosting.
The Bottom Line:
Autumn leaves, colors
On this seasonal cupcake
Cute decoration




Have a Foxy Fall

Even though we don’t have the fall you traditionally think of in Southern California (I refer to that period of the calendar year as Santa Ana Wind season), thinking about September makes me think of leaves turning color and cooler weather.  That’s captured perfectly in Sly and Sweet, the second of Hallmark’s Keepsake Cupcake collection.

This ornament features a chocolate cupcake in a dark green wrapper.  On top are leaves in various colors of red, orange, and yellow.  There are even a few greens in there.  Popping out of the leaves is a cute red fox.

I’m not quite sure what the connection is between the fox and fall, but I do like the ornament.  His smile makes it obvious he is having fun playing in the leaves.  Maybe that’s all the connection is.  The leaves certainly look like fall, and the combination of the dark cupcake peeking out of the green wrapper makes me think of wet dirt.  I can almost smell the damp earth.

My only problem with this ornament is that the leaves look a bit too much like plastic.  Don’t get me wrong, the entire ornament is made out of plastic.  I get that.  But on the first in the series, the ornament looks like part of the decoration on top is made from frosting.  Here, the leaves look like plastic to me.  Maybe I’m just being too picky.

Like all cupcakes, this one has a flat bottom, so it’s no problem setting it out in the optional display case that Hallmark sold to go with this series.  You’ll also find the series marker, a 2 in a Christmas tree (really, they need to come up with some other series marker at this point for the yearlong series) on the bottom.

There is a loop in the top of the fox if you want to hang the ornament.  When you slip a hook through it, you’ll find that he hangs straight.

The plastic look of the leaves bothers me some, but overall, I do like Sly and Sweet.  The way it evokes fall is so wonderful.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Keepsake Cupcakes.

Original Price: $12.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.