Friday, March 8, 2019

Disney Pin Review: Mulan - Disney Wisdom Collection #2

Stars
: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great quote with rare character
Cons: Might be too stylized for some
The Bottom Line:
A flowery quote
Combines with fun characters
In great three pin set



Second Disney Wisdom Pin Set Doesn’t Need to Grow on You

For the second month in the Disney Wisdom pin series, we are moving both forward and backward in time.  The film featured is Mulan, which came out in the 1990’s (how can that be over 20 years ago?), decades after Dumbo, which was the featured movie last month.  But it is featuring characters and a story that are set centuries ago, long before the then contemporary setting of Dumbo.

The quote this month comes from near the end of the movie as the Emperor of ancient China is praising Mulan.  He says, “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.”  However, the Emperor himself doesn’t appear on any of the pins.  The quote itself is once again featured on a rectangular pin featuring a couple different fonts of calligraphy and a few words emphasized.  The two other pins in the set feature supporting characters.  We’ve got Mushu, the Komodo dragon voiced by Eddie Murphy, and Cri-Kee, the cricket who also tags along on the adventure.

The color this month is red, an appropriate choice for a set released just after Valentine’s Day, right?  (I’m sure Mushu had more to do with it than the month, however.)  Each pin is almost completely red.  The quote is written in silver with a couple of words featured in yellow.  The characters are red with different shades to emphasize different parts of their body.  It’s a deep, bold red, so it really stands out.

As with the first in the series, it takes me a few looks to adjust to the characters in this color, but once I do, I like it.  And, again, I love the quote.  Those who not only survive but triumph when they face a hard time do stand out.  They are the kind of people who want in your life because they will always be an uplifting presence and help you strive to be better, too.

Another feature of this set is the inclusion of at least one rare character on a Disney pin.  I don’t know that I’ve ever seen Cri-Kee on a pin before.  I know I’ve seen Mushu, although I don’t remember if I had him before or not.

Once again, this set proved to be very popular.  If you don’t have this second set yet, you’ll have to watch for a deal on a used set since it sold out the weekend it was released.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were a pin collector! Me, too, though not an organized one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very organized either. I just buy what I like, and most of it is stored under my bed.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.