Saturday, January 18, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Space Mountain - Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction #1 - 2020 Release

Stars
: 5 out of 5
Pros: Creatively combines Minnie and a classic attraction
Cons: All cons left orbiting alone
The Bottom Line:
A spacey pin set
As new collection begins
Out of this world fun

The Disney Store’s New Pin Series Launches with an Out of This World Set

After faithfully collecting the Disney Wisdom Collection last year, I was anxious to see if Disney was going to release another monthly series I’d be interested in.  When they first announced 2020’s series was going to be Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction and it would feature Minnie as a fashion icon, I wasn’t so sure I was going to be interested.  The one thing that made me think I might be interested is that each entry would be themed around a classic attraction from the Disney parks.  Looking at the pictures of the first few releases, I knew I was hooked.  I’m just getting the pins this year (honest!), and the pins blast off with a set themed around Space Mountain.

The sets in this series will once again be three pin sets.  The first pin is an icon that represents the ride itself.  For Space Mountain, they went with the easy iconic futuristic peak of the ride that you can see from almost anywhere in Tomorrowland when you are in the parks.  However, the pin is not just that peak.  Over the top of it, they’ve got a purple oval with stars in it.  Honestly, it’s beautiful all by itself, but the fun continues with Minnie.  In keeping with the gray and purple color scheme this month, she mostly gray.  She’s looking down and smiling, but what makes her fun is that her dress is that Space Mountain peak.  I’ve got to say, it looks good on her.  Based on the pictures I’ve seen so far, I think this is my favorite Minnie dress, although it is hard to tell in the pictures that have been released on line.  The final pin in the set is a pin representation of the Minnie Mouse ears that are being released each month.  The bow on Minnie’s ears is made up of a few planks of the mountain’s roof with a star in the middle to catch the light.  And the ears?  In another fantastic detail, they are both windows into space, but one shows moons orbiting planets while the other just has stars.

As you can tell, I love these pins.  That isn’t a surprise to me since I’ve realized while writing reviews for this blog that I love it when artists take something and tweak it to represent a theme.  That’s what we are going to be getting all year, and I can’t wait to see what all they do.  Meanwhile, this first one is fantastic.  It’s the little details that just make it so fabulous.

The series will feature several items each month.  There’s the pin set, a mug (I’m out of cabinet space; I can’t get these!), a Minnie plush, Minnie ears, and a bag.  Depending on what you collect, there is something for everyone.  I already collect Disney pins, but I think the pins are the best since they have elements from several of the other items in it.

As I said, it’s the fact that these are themed around attractions that has pulled me in.  I’ve gone back and looked at the pin sets they did for Mickey a couple of years ago, which were themed around different decades, and they just don’t appeal to me.  But these pins!  They’ve picked attractions that are at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World (and probably the other parks as well, but I don’t know the other parks well enough to confirm), so no matter which US park you know best, you’ll still be able to recognize the attraction.  Some appeal to me more than others, which is no surprise, but most of them make me smile.  Then again, I’m a sucker for just about any ride at the parks.

I can’t wait to see how the artists add the fun touches to the rest of the pins in this new series.  But for right now, I’m going to enjoy blasting off with Minnie on Space Mountain.

If you'd like to see a picture, check out my post on Instagram.

1 comment:

  1. My oldest son and his wife are huge Disney fans. They go just about every weekend, have a huge collection of pins, and even have a YouTube channel for all their Disney trips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.