Friday, February 18, 2022

February 18th's Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, and Friday 56

Welcome to Friday!  It's time for some weekly posts with Book Beginnings, First Line Friday, and Friday 56.

I'm taking a break from mysteries this week (shocking, I know), and instead featuring Singing in the Dark by Ginny Owens.


Ginny is a Christian singing, and this is a devotional subtitled Finding Hope in the Songs of Scripture.  I finished it earlier this week, and I really enjoyed it.  I read it straight through instead of using it as a devotional, but I plan to go back and revisit it at a slower pace soon.

Shall we get to it?  Here's how the book beginnings:

I was a senior in college when I first witnessed music bringing light into darkness.

Jumping ahead to page 56, we are looking at Moses as background for one of the songs he sang in the Scriptures:

I've often wondered what it must have been like for Moses, that prince, scholar, and bold proponent of justice turned outlaw turned shepherd.  He was probably resigned to the idea that he would spend the rest of his life sheep-tending in the desert.  But at eighty, at the point when most folds are slowing down, God came to Moses, singing of the detour that would become his new road.

I'll be reviewing this book next Thursday, so I hope you'll come back to see my full review.

In the meantime, have a great weekend, especially if you have a long weekend here in the US.  I'm happy to have President's Day off again this year.

13 comments:

  1. I discuss for a different meme in today's post why I don't often read Christian fiction, but I can see how this would be an interesting read for you! I'm glad you enjoyed it and enjoy your long weekend ;)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the opening! and your page 56. Will have to add that to my first First Line Friday blog post - http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-naked-in-death.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very nice and inspiring!
    Mine is in French this time: https://francebooktours.com/2022/02/18/le-promeneur-sur-le-cap-friday-56-vendredi-lecture/
    I have free copies and also a giveaway, so if you read French or have friends who do, please pass the information along. Have a great week-end

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first line is from Shaped by the Waves by Christina Suzann Nelson:
    The Pacific Ocean licked the heat from her feet.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that 56. I've been looking to read more books like this, so I'm adding it to my wishlist. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really good. I'm looking forward to reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Music has certainly helped me through some rough spots, so I can relate to the opening. Thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the opening. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Friday!
    I'm just beginning Stone by Ronie Kendig so I will share from there.
    "Some days were meant to test a man; others meant to undo him."
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy Christian Nonfiction and have not heard of this one. Thanks for sharing. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that opening line. My first line is from Toni Shiloh's new book, In Search of a Prince. https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/02/18/in-search-of-a-prince/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.