Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Book Review: A Deadly Bone to Pick by Peggy Rothschild (Molly Madison #1)

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Strong, fun characters; lovely setting
Cons: Very uneven pacing in the plot
The Bottom Line:
Sandy Discov’ry
Charming characters and dogs
But uneven plot



Unfortunately, I Have a Bone to Pick with This Debut

When I was looking over the new authors debuting this year, Peggy Rothschild caught my eye.  Her book is set in a small but fictitious Southern California beach community, and I immediately was drawn to the premise, so I agreed to read A Deadly Bone to Pick.

Molly Madison is starting her life over again in Pier Point, California, with her faithful Golden Retriever, Harlow, in tow.  She’s hoping to leave some of pain in her past behind, so she needs this move to work out.

All that is put into jeopardy when a dog she is dog sitting uncovered a severed hand on the beach early one morning.  Despite Molly doing the right thing and calling the cops, the cops still think that Molly makes a great suspect, especially given her past.  Can Molly dig up the truth?

The cast of characters is charming.  They are eccentric enough to be memorable, but they aren’t so over the top that they feel less than real.  I loved meeting them and getting to spend time with them.

And that includes the dogs.  While I am allergic to dogs, it is the relationships portrayed here that make me wish I could get one.  They are charming, and their antics made me smile.

Meanwhile, I loved the setting.  While Pier Point may be fictional, I could easily picture it.  I always enjoy reading books set in Southern California since I’m familiar with the geography, and this was no exception.

Unfortunately, the plot was slow.  Things kick off fairly quickly, but then the book focuses on Molly settling into her new home and meeting neighborhood dogs for far too long for my tastes.  Eventually, the mystery does take over Molly’s focus, and we reach a logical but rushed climax.

I wish I had enjoyed A Deadly Bone to Pick more.  There is much potential here, but the slow start kept me from being as engaged as I would have liked.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.