Friday, February 4, 2022

February 4th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

 It's Friday!  And that means it is time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm featuring Murder in Morningside Heights, the nineteenth Gaslight Mystery from Victoria Thompson.


Yes, I'm still catching up on this series, but I'm enjoying every stop along the way.  I'm actually getting close to finishing, too, since book twenty-five comes out in April.  I doubt I'll finish this year, but I'm planning to officially catch-up next year.

But for today, let's talk about this book.  The series is set in New York City in the 1890's, and this is the first book since retired NYPD detective Frank Malloy agreed to open a detective agency.  And that sets the scene for the beginning:

Frank Malloy, Confidential Inquiries.
Frank hesitated a moment to admire the sight of his name in gilt letters on the frosted glass of the office door.  The "Confidential Inquiries" had been his mother-in-law's idea.  Elizabeth Decker felt that "Detective Agency" was somehow undignified and might attract the wrong type of client.  Frank wasn't sure what the wrong type of client might be for a private detective agency, but he was more than willing to give his new business at least a hint of respectability.

No, these are not humorous mysteries, but as you can see, there is a strong hint of humor running through them.  I feel like that has increased as the series has gone along, and it is something I really enjoy.

Meanwhile, over on page 56, we find this:

She was still frowning, not sure what to make of him, but she let him carry the basket and follow her back into the steamy warmth of the kitchen, where a huge pot of water simmered, ready for the next load of wash.
He wiped his feet carefully before entering, knowing this would please his hostess.
"Put that basked down anywhere," she snapped as she pulled off her coat.  "And close the door if you're staying."

I'll be interested to seeing your reactions to this since, out of context, it feels differently than it did when I was reading that page.

I've just finished this book, and, as usual for the series, I enjoyed it.  Look for my full review next Thursday.

I hope you enjoy your weekend.  Those in the path of the snowstorm, do your best to stay warm.  We won't talk about my weather in sunny Southern California, okay?  Or the fact that I'm doing a mud run tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Ok I definitely would like to try this series! Thank you for good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooof 25 is quite a series! I like the tone of dry humour running through the otherwise serious tone of the book. The F56 does feel like it could be a very tense moment, so I'm intrigued to hear how it works within the context of the book itself. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely curious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to start this series, but there are so many books in it. I'll never catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like something I'd really enjoy. It's set during one of my favorite time periods. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are currently 24 books in this series? That is one serious commitment. I rarely read my way through a series of four books. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy books that have humor in them. Happy reading. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-37-dreams-of-gold.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds pretty good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been curious about this series, but admit the size of it makes me hesitate. I think I would like it though. You have me curious about the context of the second excerpt you shared since you mentioned it comes across differently separated out. Have a great weekend, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't started catching up on the series but I really want too. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.