Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Book Review: Comedy Can Be Deadly by Ryan Rivers (Bucket List Mysteries #3)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: great characters, laughs, and mystery blended together perfectly
Cons: I laugh in the face of cons
The Bottom Line:
A play with murder
Mixing mystery and laughs
Always delightful




Murder Complicates Shakespeare

Ryan Rivers’ Bucket List Mysteries have quickly become one of my favorite series. The stories are a wonderful blend of comedy and mystery with characters we can’t help but root for. As a result, I couldn’t wait to dive into the latest, Comedy Can Be Deadly

For those new to the series, it features an unlikely pair of protagonists. Levi Blue is a former tween star who has landed the job of mayor in the town of Bluebonnet Hills, Texas. Our narrator is Sho Tanaka, a former ER murder who lost his job after he developed an addiction to prescription pills. He’s relocated to the town where his sister, Jenny, runs a popular local restaurant. 

In this book, Levi has landed the role of Puck in the local theater’s production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Sho is happy with his role as stage manager until an accident forces him to take on the role of Lysander. Things are anything but smooth sailing with all the personalities in the cast and crew. But then some dies after falling from the upper platform of the theater. Was it an accident or murder?

Okay, fine, it was murder. But for the longest time, Sho seems to be the only one willing to classify it as such. There are plenty of twists and surprises on the way to the climax, which is the best handled climax of this type I’ve seen. I just loved it! 

I said this was a comedic series, and then I talked about Sho’s addiction issues. Yes, this really is a comedic series. The comedy was toned down a bit this time around, which I appreciated. There were still plenty of laughs, but the balance between that and the more serious moments was better maintained. 

And we get some great growth for both Levi and Sho. Even Jenny gets some nice growth here. I really appreciate where these characters are going. And I appreciate how their relationships are growing as well. 

Meanwhile, we get some interesting suspects that help pull us into the story. 

As always, the next book sets up the next in the series, but I’m a little surprised at what it set up given some of what happens here.  I guess I’ll find out where things are going when that book comes out, and I can’t wait.

Over the course of the book, there are some references to previous cases, so if you want to read spoiler free, I recommend you read the stories in order. You’ll also appreciate the character growth more that way. 

Comedy Can Be Deadly is another fun ride from start to finish. If you want to laugh as you read, you need to pick up this series. 

Be sure to cross the rest of the Bucket List Mysteries off your list. 

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.