Monday, November 9, 2015

Ornament Review: Rhapsody in Blue - Art of Disney Animation #3) - 2015 Disney Store Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good sculpt of lesser remembered film
Cons: Figures looking down so hard to see their faces
The Bottom Line:
A Rhapsody piece
With the figures facing down
Collectors will want




I’m Not Blue I Have This Ornament

So far, the Art of Disney Animation ornament series is three for three in picking obscure characters to highlight.  Heck, for this month, we also get an obscure film since this may be the first ornament I’m aware of that comes from Fantasia 2000.  Since I loved the Rhapsody in Blue segment, I’m happy it was chosen for this ornament.

In case you’ve forgotten, this segment of the film features characters going about their lives and dreams in New York City.  All the people are drawn in the style of blank.  And, of course, the music of Gershwin’s famous Rhapsody in Blue helps tell their story.

For this ornament, we get three of the characters.  The main focus is a drummer who is leading a parade of sorts with drum sticks in his hands.  Behind him is a rotund middle age man who is dancing down the street with his arm out and one foot in the air.  And riding on his shoulder is a little girl.  The ornament is doing in shapes of pink and purple, which fits this segment of the movie.

And, while not the traditional Christmas red, actually plays into that color well.  On its own, you might not think Christmas colors when you see it, but I expect it to provide a nice accent when placed on my tree in just a couple of weeks.  (How did it get to be that time already?)  Of course, the red ribbon that The Disney Store usually provides is attached to the ornament and you’ll find that the ornament tips forward ever so slightly, but not enough to be an issue.

The three figures are standing on a circle, meaning this ornament could be placed out year round to be viewed and enjoyed.  And the color of that circle?  Blue, of course.  (Rhapsody in Blue, anyone?)

Unfortunately, the characters do seem to be looking down at the ground a bit too much, so you have to be under the ornament to truly appreciate all the details of the piece.  That means when you go to hand the ornament, you need to hang it up high on your tree, something I’m not always thrilled to do with Disney Store ornaments since they tend to be bigger and heavier than most of the ornaments in my collection.

As a DisNerd, I love getting ornaments for all the Disney movies and characters I can.  That’s why I am thrilled to get Rhapsody in Blue.  Even though it isn’t perfect, it is nice to see one of the lesser remembered movies get some merchandise.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Art of Disney Animation ornament series.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.