Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Favorite Reads of 2017

It's that time of the year again - time for a list of the favorite books I read in 2017.  You'll see lots of new names (because I started reading them this year) and some familiar names as well.

As a reminder, these were not necessarily all published in 2017.  These are books I read for the first time in 2017.

I've broken them down into three different categories - Cozy/Traditional, Other Mysteries, and Middle Grade.  The links will take you to my full review, and books in all categories are listed in the order read.

Cozy/Traditional
I added the traditional tag because a few of these are darker than the image of a normal cozy.  They are still light on language, violence, and sex.

Nun Too Soon by Alice Loweecey
I really was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, but I shouldn't have been.  I met the author, and she is warm and funny, just like the characters in this book.  The banter was great, and the mystery was very solid.  The main character is a former nun turned PI, something that probably would never have been on the top of my list of characters, but I am so glad I gave this series a chance.

Twelve Angry Librarians by Miranda James
Those familiar with the series need no introduction.  And if you haven't started this delightful series, do so today.  Charlie, a librarian, and his cat, Diesel, are a delight, and the mysteries are so full of twists that the pages fly by all too quickly.

In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen
I've been a fan of Rhys Bowen for years, and she is no stranger to my favorite reads lists.  This is a more serious stand alone set in England during World War II.  This is one of those books that so pulls you into the story it always take a little while to reacclimate to the present day when you put the book down.  Well worth reading.

Ivy Get Your Gun by Cindy Brown
I read two of Ivy's adventures this year, and I loved them both.  This actress/PI in training is a delight, and the series mixes comedy with some serious themes and well developed characters with ease.

Counterfeit Conspiracies by Ritter Ames
Who doesn't love a good caper?  I quickly got caught up in the art caper filled with twists and turns and intriguing characters.  The book ended all too soon, but fortunately it's the first in a series.

Circle of Influence by Annette Dashofy
This book is definitely on the serious side of the traditional spectrum, but I didn't mind at all.  The characters pop off the page from the very beginning, and the personal nature of the mystery kept me completely hooked.

Cat About Town by Cate Conte
I've been a fan of the books that "Cate" writes under her own name, Liz Mugavero, for a while, so I wasn't surprised I liked this new series debut.  I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed it.  The setting and characters just make you want to settle in and stay.  I'm definitely looking forward to the second in the series.

Hollywood Homicide by Kellye Garrett
Brand new author is a book that is tons of fun.  The Hollywood setting didn't hurt, but the way this mystery unfolded was original, and the humor made it lots of fun.  This is an author to watch, and I'm looking forward to book two in the series.

Murder on the Toy Town Express by Barbara Early
The first in this series made my list last year, and the second book didn't disappoint.  Great characters, puns, good mystery, and vintage toys.  Seriously, what's not to love?

Seeds of Revenge by Wendy Tyson
Most of the time, Christmas set mysteries are light even by cozy standards.  This is a noticeable exception as the book has a very serious tone.  But that just makes you feel the events more as the mystery unravels.

A Perfect Manhattan Murder by Tracy Kiely
Ending this section on a light note.  Honestly, any of the books in this series could have been on my list since I read all three of them this year.  Created as an homage to The Thin Man movies, they are perfect whether you know those movies or not.  The banter had my laughing, and the mysteries kept me confused.  What else do you need?

Other Mysteries:
I have three authors I rotate on audio.  I'm years behind, so these are all older books.  But all three of them had books that blew me away this year, so I had to include them.

Blood Work by Michael Connelly
This is one of Michael Connelly's stand alones, but it perfectly captures what I love about his books.  When he is on, where you end up is no where near where you start, yet each step along the way makes the surprise ending perfectly logical.  I can't recommend this book highly enough.

The Last Detective by Robert Crais
I'm not as big a fan of Robert Crais' books as many people seem to be, but this book hooked me from the very beginning.  I listened to most of it while driving around one day, but when I got home, I was so upset because I just had to know what happened next.  Even the flashbacks worked here to hook me.

"I" is for Innocent by Sue Grafton
The news of Sue's death at the end of 2017 upset me because I've been loving these books.  She can create characters in just a few words, and she creates wonderful plots that twist all over the place.  This book surprised me several times along the way to the logical climax.  This book is a perfect example of why she is so beloved.

Middle Grade
There is nothing like a good middle grade novel to remind you why you fell in love with reading in the first place.  They are just fun and so creative.  I have several I've bought I haven't had time to read.  Some day, I will find time to read more of this genre in addition to everything else I read.

Secret Origins by James Riley
A series where the main characters jump into books?  I'm already sold.  But then add in the fact that each book plays with the expectations of different middle grade genres while still advancing the series story line, and you have a winner.  This book offers some surprises as our heroes leap into a comic book and super hero world.

Secret of the Skeleton Key by Penny Warner
I've long been a fan of Penny's books for adults, and I've had this book for several years.  No surprise that I enjoyed it as well.  The secret codes in the book are sure to add to the fun for kids.

Panda-Monium by Stuart Gibbs
I'm a die hard Stuart Gibbs fan, but the FunJungle series remains my favorite.  This book is no exception with a strong main mystery and sub-plot, laughs, and character development.

Nightfall by Shannon Messenger
Part of me was hesitant to pick up an 800 page book, but the rest had to know what would happen next after the cliffhanger from the last book.  I kept waiting for the book to slow down, but there was only a brief period, and we really needed it to catch our breath for the climax.  And yes, I'm now waiting anxiously for the next book in the series.

9 comments:

  1. Love your list...you included some of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, thank you for including me on your list. I'm praying your health issues are soon sorted our satisfactorily

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an honor to be included on your list, Mark. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed many of these books myself, and am adding the others to my TBR list!

    DebRo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing list. Many are favorite authors of mine and I'm in agreement about the ones I have read on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I just added a few to my list. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.