Sunday, May 19, 2019

Disney Pin Review: Pocahontas - Disney Wisdom Collection #5

Stars
: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great quote, set looks good
Cons: Not a fan of the movie the quote comes from
The Bottom Line:
Great quote from poor film
With good reminder on life
Anchors a fun set




Wisdom from a Tree

When I saw that one of the quotes in the Disney Wisdom series was coming from Pocahontas, I was less than happy.  I have major issues with that film, including its historical inaccuracies and its including fantasy elements in a historical story.  Yet, when I actually thought about the quote they included, I loved it, so I was happy to add this pin set to my collection.

Ironically, the quote, which I love, comes from one of the fantasy characters, that of Grandmother Willow.  But the quote!  “Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one.”  That’s actually a very true statement.  In fact, I would argue that the right path is rarely the easiest one.  Yet people are too willing to go along with others and take the easiest path instead of standing up for what is right.  It gets more complicated when you factor in people who think they are on the right path when they really aren’t.  It’s why Jesus said in Matthew 7 “Wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”  (Yes, I did just quote the Bible in the same paragraph with a mystical talking tree.  No, that doesn’t mean we should blindly accept anything that is said, but we should filter everything through the lens of scripture.)

Anyway, on to the pin set.  As usual, there are three pins.  The first is the quote in stylized calligraphy and a rectangle frame.  The two characters pins are of Meeko the raccoon and Flit the hummingbird.  Once again, we don’t have a pin of the person who gave us the quote, but we are three for five for not getting a pin of the person being quoted, so that’s not really a surprise.

The color of the month is blue again, but more of a blue green than the baby blue from the Dumbo set.  It’s a very pretty color.  The quote is mainly pink, white, and orange on the blue background, while the characters are a couple of shades of blue.  I feel like the quote is the boldest color choices yet (which is ironic since the theme for next month’s quote is bold), but it works well.  As to the characters, neither of them is usually blue, but their look here is in keeping with the series and mostly works.  Flit could be a little easier to recognize; you certainly wouldn’t know who he was out of context, and he’s mostly one shade of blue, but that’s a minor complaint.  Since I’m not a fan of the movie, I know I don’t have these characters in my pin collection since I would have skipped over them at the parks.  It’s not a hole I was looking to fill, but I am fine with adding these two characters since their antics are definitely a highlight of the film.

No, this pin set hasn’t changed my mind on the movie.  But I am glad to add this part of the Disney Wisdom Collection to my pin collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.