Friday, June 21, 2019

Book Review: Book, Line, and Sinker by Jenn McKinlay (Library Lover's Mysteries #3)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun plot and great characters
Cons: All cons buried with the pirate treasure
The Bottom Line:
Treasure hunters come
Causing strife in Briar Creek
Fun third mystery




This Book is Not a Stinker, and That’s Not a Line to Hook You

Pirates were bad men.  They robbed and murdered anyone they pleased.  And yet, there is something fascinating about them, and they have woven their way into our pop culture in a way that romanticizes them.  (Yes, I’m a fan of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which are a perfect case in point.)  Honestly, I think one reason why we love them so much is because of the dream of suddenly finding a pirate treasure.  And pirate treasure fever comes to Briar Creek, Connecticut, in Book, Line, and Sinker, the third Library’s Lovers Mystery from Jenn McKinlay.

Pirate fever arrives when Preston Riordan and his salvage company come to town with plans to dig in the islands off the coast for a treasure that Captain Kidd supposedly buried there over two hundred years ago.  The plans immediately draw concern from Lindsay Norris’s friend Milton, who doesn’t want anything to ruin the islands.  On the other hand, Trudi Hargrave, the town’s tourism director, thinks this is the perfect thing to bring in more tourism and more business.

Even as the digging commences, the battle still rages.  Unfortunately, the tension leads to a dead body in the excavation site on one of the islands.  When Lindsay’s friends become suspects, she begins looking for clues to clear them and figure out what is really happening.  Can she dig up the correct X to mark the killer?

The plot of this book is a little different from that of a typical cozy.  I’m not saying that is a bad thing.  In fact, I quite enjoyed the journey the book took me on.  However, you do need to adjust your expectations accordingly and let the book unfold.  Trust me, you’ll be completely hooked and satisfied with the story you were told when you turn the final page.

Lindsay’s personal life is also heating up in this book when her ex-fiance comes to town looking to rekindle their romance despite the fact that she has moved on with Mike Sullivan.  I must admit, I had a minute of eye rolling when I saw this particular sub-plot pop up since it is a bit of a cliche in cozy mysteries, but I actually enjoyed how it played out here.

One reason I enjoyed it is because it allowed Lindsay some time to reflect on her new life which allowed us a chance to get to know her better.  This may be the third book, but we’ve already seen some good growth in her and gotten to know quite a few supporting characters.  They are all back and as charming as ever, although I do still struggle with remember who a couple of the crafternoon ladies are, mainly because they haven’t gotten much page time on their own yet.  I am also pleasantly surprised at how Lindsay’s relationship with the local police has changed since book one.

Speaking of the crafternoon group, we are once again treated to several extras at the end, including a few discussion questions for The Great Gatsby, a cross stitch project, and a couple of recipes, all inspired by this group.

Book, Line, and Sinker continues this fun series.  I have quite a way to go to catch up, but I am enjoying my time with these early books in the series.  If you haven’t started this series yet, don’t wait any longer.  You are in for a treat.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Library Lover’s Mysteries.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite series though after reading the blurb I'm not sure I've read this one. If I have I remember nothing of it so I'm going to have to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.