Sunday, August 8, 2021

Disney Pin Review: Casey at the Bat - All Star Trading Cards #8 - 2020 Release

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Lesser known player in an obvious choice for the series
Cons: No signature
The Bottom Line:
Baseball gets a pin
Casey takes swing at spotlight
Missing signature




Batter Up!

When I think of sports trading cards, the ones that immediately pop into my mind are baseball cards.  So it makes sense that Disney would include baseball as one of the sports in their All Stars Trading Cards pin series.  And who to represent that sport better than Casey.

Casey tends to be a Disney character best known and remembered by DisNerds.  His story was one of the segments in Make Mine Music, one of the almost forgotten package films from the 1940’s.  It’s also been released as the short “Casey at the Bat.”  In the story, based on a poem, Casey is a talented and popular baseball player who is trying to win a championship for his team.

And the pin captures Casey at the bat.  (Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)  He’s at home plate with a bat in his hand getting ready to hit the ball out of the park.  We can’t see the people behind him, but there are suggestions of the crowds in the stands.  As always, we have Baseball in a blue banner at the bottom of the pin, and Casey himself is raised slightly from the rest of the pin.

There is something missing from this pin.  This is the first to not include the character’s signature.  Maybe it’s just my pin and others have the signature on it, but that surprised me when I was looking at the pin.  From the pictures of the pin I’ve seen online, I do believe that none of them have his signature.  My guess is, this is a character they’ve never had in the parks, so they haven’t created a signature for him, and decided to leave it off the pin as a result.

That issue aside, I do enjoy this pin.  It’s nice to see a lesser character get a pin.  As I stated at the beginning, baseball is an obvious choice to be included in this pin series, and choosing to release this pin in August when baseball is the sport most of the country is focusing on was smart.

Even without a signature from our star, I am enjoying this Casey at the Bat pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.