Sunday, February 20, 2022

Disney Pin Review: Coats & Co. - Windows of Main Street - 2021 Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great version of a Disney window
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Coats in the window
Mr. Toad along for ride
A legend honored




It’s No Tall Tale or Wild Ride to See Why I Like This Pin

For my second Windows of Main Street pin review, I’m once again picking a pin that premiered at Disneyland.  Can you tell I went to Disneyland recently?  Yes, this is another pin I bought in person instead of buying off the internet secondhand.  But that’s beside the point.  The Coats & Co. window pin is another great tribute to a Disney legend.

This window is located on Main Street in Disneyland above the Emporium.  The company is Coats & Co., Claude Coats, Proprietor.  Who is Claude?  He is a Disney artist known for his work on backgrounds in Disney animated movies, most prominently Pinocchio, although he worked on many others.  When Disney started working on Disneyland, he switched over to the park.  He worked on the dioramas you see on the train as you travel between Tomorrowland and Main Street.  He also worked on such classic attractions as Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.  He was also 6 ft 6 inches tall.  While the window doesn’t say it, Coats & Co. is a big and tall shop.  Makes sense, right?

On Main Street, this window has green shutters next to it, and that has been capture with the pin version.  At first glance, the pin is just showing the closed green shutters.  However, the shutters are hinged, and you can open them to reveal the window.  The upper portion has the stenciling that advertises the company.  In the parks, the shutters are closed on the bottom half of the window, but here they open as well to reveal Mr. Toad in his motor car, a tie in to the Mr. Toad ride that Claude worked on.

Again, I didn’t necessarily know this history when I bought the pin.  I just liked the idea of having this version of a window I’ve walked by many times on Main Street.  However, now that I’ve done the research into who Claude was and why he was being honored, I love it even more.

If you want some Disney history in pin form, you’ll be happy you go Claude Coats’s Windows of Main Street pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.