Friday, February 11, 2022

February 11th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56 and First Line Friday

We've made it through another week, which must mean it is time again for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  I'm also joining First Line Friday this week.

This week, I'm featuring Nun But the Brave by Alice Loweecey.


Yes, Giulia is a former nun turned PI.  This is a delightfully fun and wacky series.  Unfortunately, the bits I'm going to share don't quite capture the banter between characters I love.  But they are still good.

Here's how the book opens:

Giulia Driscoll led a sobbing grandmother to Driscoll Investigations' entrance door.
"My whole family will say a novena to Saint Anthony in gratitude for how quickly you found my granddaughter."

The main plot of the book involves another missing person case that Giulia takes on.  On page 56, she's contacted her client, the missing young woman's twin sister.

Diane's voice switched from hopeful to huffy.  "I'm her identical twin.  You don't need to talk to anyone else.  We know everything about each other."
Giulia decided to nickname this case the "Wait for it" case.  Here she sat, doing exactly that rather than say the obvious into the phone.
Three...two...one...
"Okay, I get it," Diane said.  "I guess I don't know everything about Jo since her manager had to tell me she was missing."

I just finished the book, and I really enjoyed it.  Plenty of laughs and smiles as I read.  My full review will be up next week.

In the meantime, enjoy your weekend.

14 comments:

  1. A former nun turned PI...seems like a unique premise. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tempting book! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A former nun turned PI? Sign me up! This sounds like such a fun read! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for introducing me to a new series...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books with humor an a former nun turned PI sounds hilarious! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend! My Friday post if you'd like to stop by: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-38-time-to-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh--what a funny premise! I'm going to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nun turned P.I. sounds like a great character. The second excerpt made me chuckle. "Wait for it." Haha. I am glad you enjoyed this one. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another series I want to read. It sounds really good. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the first book in this series on my TBR. It's such a fun premise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fun read! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My first line is from The Lady of Galway Manor by Jennifer Deible :
    Galway City, Ireland. April 16, 1920
    No one ever tells the truth about love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.