Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Ornament Review: Oliver and Dodger - 2023 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great sculpt of these two characters
Cons: A couple of seams could be better
The Bottom Line:
Oliver, Dodger
Annivers’ry ornament
Fans will snap them up



Why Should I Worry?  I’ve Got Oliver and Dodger as an Ornament

While there are some Disney movies and characters I like more than others, I am happy to collect something from each movie.  When I was looking at Hallmark’s line for 2023, I realized I don’t have any ornaments for Oliver and Company yet.  Since this year marks the 35th anniversary of the movie, now seems like a good time to fix that.

Hallmark’s offering this year is Oliver and Dodger.  If you aren’t familiar with the movie, it is a retelling (of sorts) of Charles Dickens’s Oliver Twist, only if Oliver were a kitten on the streets of New York City taken in by a pack of dogs.  (As I said, sort of).

Oliver is a cute orange kitten, and he’s captured here in wide eyed wonder as he looks at the world around him.  He’s next to Dodger, a Jack Russell Terrier.  He’s got his signature red scarf tied around his neck.  He’s looking at Dodger and smiling.

I can also picture him singing “Why Should I Worry,” my favorite song from the movie, as he shows Oliver around the city.  The look of wonder on Oliver’s face helps me think that.  And I can kind of picture Dodger’s look meaning, “I know, it’s so cool.”  Since it makes me think of this scene, I wanted to get it that much more.  The sculpt does a wonderful job of capturing the characters, although I wish the seams weren’t so noticeable on Dodger’s rear legs and tail.

Since we’ve got two animals side by side, the ornament has a nice, flat base, so you could easily set this ornament out in a display or to be enjoyed year-round.  After all, there is nothing specifically Christmassy about it.

The loop for hanging the ornament is on the back of Dodger’s head.  Slip a hook through it, and you’ll find that the ornament hangs perfectly straight.

Oliver and Company is a mostly forgotten Disney movie.  However, fans will be delighted to add Oliver and Dodger to their Christmas tree.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.