Thursday, February 14, 2013

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for Feb. 15th

It's Friday!  That's means it is time for this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week's book is a non-fiction book - Strides: Running Through History with an Unlikely Athlete by Benjamin Cheever.  I should finish it up at lunch time and have a review posted by tonight.  UPDATE: Here's the review.

Pheidippides is said to have run the first marathon.

And on to a passage from page 56.

I can't entirely shake the suspicion that these perpetually young athletes came out of Roswell, New Mexico, 60 years ago, bused in on the same UFO.

No, really, this is non-fiction.  I swear.

I'm going to mention a group I run on Facebook called First Line Monday.  Really, it's the same thing as Book Beginnings, only we post on Facebook on Mondays.  Feel free to stop by and join us there as you'll be able to meet some new people that way.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting reading choice - I'll be honest I don't do much "non-fiction" reading ...lol...but strangely I have several runners in my life (I'm not one of them sad to say) and they would probably love to read this book so I'll write the name down for them.

    Here's my Friday Meme Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a non-fiction reader either, but occasionally, I do branch out.

    This book isn't as good as I hoped it would be. The author needed to focus his thoughts a big more. I'll have a full review up tonight, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I alternate between fiction and nonfiction, but my nonfiction books are usually memoirs. Your snippets certainly piqued my curiosity, though.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but laugh at the 56.... and the name in the beginning is quite a mouthful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked that sentence because it was funny and interesting.

    Thanks to both of you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great beginning! Then the 56 just made me laugh!

    I actually have a giveaway on blog for a book about Cross Country running -- written a runner! You may want to check it out:
    http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2013/02/guest-postgiveaway-dan-martinez-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the 56 line is really funny.

    Thanks for telling me about the giveaway. I'm definitely interested.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.