Thursday, February 14, 2013

Movie Review: Batman Begins


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great story and acting
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Superhero film
Filled with grounded characters
Makes it worth watching




Batman Soars to New Emotional Heights

I've always been a casual Batman fan at best. I liked the 60's TV show and the later films, but found the first two way too dark for my tastes. I had little desire to see Batman Begins until friends and family started raving about it. I decided to give it a try. Am I ever glad I did.

Ignoring all previous movie and TV series, this movie begins with a Bruce Wayne unsure what to do with his life. Through flashbacks, we see his tragic childhood including his parent's murder. Back in the present, Bruce begins a quest to deal with his inner demons. Ultimate, it leads him to return to Gotham City in his dual roll. And it's just in time. Corruption and crime have overtaken the city, with the Scarecrow leading the pack. Can this rookie vigilante deal with the menace?

I think what impressed me with the movie was the back story. For once I finally understood why a millionaire would risk life and limb like Bruce does on a regular basis. For a superhero movie, the story is slow, especially in the set up. But it really feels more like a drama then a superhero movie, so it really works well. And there are plenty of action scenes, not to mention a climax that is intense enough to make up for the earlier aspects of the movie.

Ultimately, I walked away from Batman Begins feeling very satisfied. This is a movie everyone can enjoy whether they are a die hard Batman fan or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.